Thread: hard disk problems

hard disk problems

I just bought a new Seagate 7200rpm 40GB Barracuda and installed it on an old P3-450MHz machine. The motherboard is MSI 6163. It seems like the HDD can't be detected by my motherboard. I tried changing IDE cables(both ATA and Ultra ATA), flashed the BIOS, used the Seagate Utility Disk and still the same. When I tried putting the HDD on another PC, it was detected and I was able to partition and format it. I placed it back to the other PC and it still can't see it. I tried putting back the old HDD and it can detect it.

It sounds like the jumpers are off. Try Cable Select.

Storage question - moved. Please use the General forum only when there is no category for your question.
    MS MCP, MCSE

Most PII boards had a hard drive size limit of around 30GB in BIOS. You said you flashed BIOS, but was the version you used new enough to include large drive support? Has MSI even updated the BIOS for your board that recently?

If you can't get a BIOS from MSI with the drive patch, you can search the net for a third-party patched BIOS.

the bios limit is 32G.

you can also use the compatibility jumper settings, but you must use the ezbios drive overlay software if you do that.

Hello ogiedpogi007,

Read this: Seagate Barracuda Technical Support - Trouble Shooting - Jumpers. Looks like you need to short pins one and two plus seven and eight - "Limit drive capacity to 32Gbs for older systems." and the drive probably came with only one jumper on five and six (Cable Select). If that does not work, click "no" and continue through the trouble shooter.

John B.
    Last edited by millwork; 05-19-2005 at 07:13 AM.

thanks for reply.

bpb. Sorry, will do so next time.

Actually the jumpers are all OK. I managed to fix the problem, thank you all... the cause... my own idiotic nature.... I did not download the latest BIOS update. As you guys mentioned, 32GB was the limit.

Thanks