Thread: DVD-R suddenly a lot slower.

DVD-R suddenly a lot slower.

Hi,

I purchased a Memorex 8x DVD-R +/- burner a little over a month ago.

All of a sudden it has slowed considerably. I back up all the DVD's i have and it used to take <40 minutes to decode, compress, and burn the DVD copies. Lately it is taking over an hour to do so...

Also burning DVD's used to have little to no effect on my systems overall performance, I could truly multitask, doing basically anything at the same time as burning. Now my computer is almost at a standstill when im burning a DVD, and its for over an hour at a time!

System: Athlon64 3200+, 1 gig pc3200, 160gig 7200rpm SATA drive, Asus k87se Deluxe Mainboard, Nvidia 6800GT, on windows XP SP2.

MS MCP, MCSE

lol yes.

i run spybot, pestpatrol, norton, and zonealarm 24/7. the problem is not spyware or adware. thx though.

Mod w/ an attitude Sterling_Aug's Avatar
    But you only listed 2 spyware programs and not even the best ones at that.

Don't say it isn't spyware causing your problems until after you run AdAwareSE and Microsoft Anti-spyware.

i'll suggest you to take a look at the IDE controller DMA settings

see if it's using PIO or anything slow

make sure you are using 8x or 4x DVD disk instead of 2x

also try to compress your DATA before you burn it to the DVD

note: a Full 4.5 Gig DVD at 2x takes exactely 30 min each side
    i7-3970X, Corsair H80, 32GB G.SKILL, ASUS RAMPAGE4 Formula, VG278H(3x27")+3D Vision2, EVGA GTX 690(x2), OCZ ZX1250W, 256GB Vertex4(x2), Seagate 3TB(x5), Antec LanBoyAir, Logitech G510, G600, Z560THX, T.Flight Hotas, PZ35, Sennheiser PC163D, TrackIR5

i have and run adawareSE, it just doesnt constantly run, which is why i forgot to list it. my machine is free of spyware, adware, viruses, etc.

How do i check the dma settings on the drive? And how would they have changed from w/e they were before to where they are now, causing my comp to slow down?

how's it cabled?

and what can I say - it's a memorex - have only made the mistake of buying them twice, and the first died right away (got it from tigerdirect - they sent another brand as a replacement because the rep said I bought a garbage drive and most of them had been returned) - second was actually a yamaha that I fixed after it failed with a firmware update - it still died 3 weeks later.

- it may simply be the drive if nothing seems to help - I'd RMA it - it's only a month old....

ok. so im tryin to run a drive speed test with nero and whenever i insert a disc to test it says.

Error!
    Read of scrambled sector without authentication (056f03).

What does this mean?

ok.

so that error message only came up when i tried using movei dvd's. apparently theyre encrypted, duh.

neway, with a data dvd or a burned dvd, the results were:

2.33x speed
    3mb/s burst speed

The drive is 8x dvd... so thats not as fast as the drive should go....

No one knows how to get this thing back up to speed? I doubt the drive is physically failing, I really think its a software setting someplace.

HEPL PLZ!

What speed is are the disks you are using rated for? If it's 4x, that is the kind of speed you can expect.
    MS MCP, MCSE

kaptr1d

and yet again, seems like and we ENFASIS check your DVD-R disks SPEEDS

2x is 30 min
    4x is 20 min (give or take)
    8x is 15 min (give or take)

that is if you actually use those disks

When you purchased your DVD R disks, what was the rating

you can kiss good bye to your DVD R drive speed factor, what matters are the Disks you have purchased
    i7-3970X, Corsair H80, 32GB G.SKILL, ASUS RAMPAGE4 Formula, VG278H(3x27")+3D Vision2, EVGA GTX 690(x2), OCZ ZX1250W, 256GB Vertex4(x2), Seagate 3TB(x5), Antec LanBoyAir, Logitech G510, G600, Z560THX, T.Flight Hotas, PZ35, Sennheiser PC163D, TrackIR5

im using dvd-r 8x disks.

im not making some stupid error with peripherals, spyware, what kinda dvd's im using.

NOTHING HAS CHANGED sine the burner was burning at 8x. it has to be something with the software.

Last night i flashed the firmware and got the speed up to 5x. Still missin 3x.

Also the drive is set to use DMA, not PIO.

why are you screwing with this? send it back and get a quality drive

I have to agree with rmanet. The software analyzes the media and determine the optimum burn speed. If it varies with the same type media then it's not spinning smoothly or not properly balanced and keeps dropping the burn rate until it can read a test track properly. If the bearings are made in China they could be made out of recycled phone books for all we know. There is however some simple things you can check first. First, if you have a firewall installed, disable it and see if that helps. Second, try it with out the AV running. Third, try a cdrom cleaner disk. Dust or a smudge on the lens can slow it down (I opened one up once that had peanut butter in it. Don't know how that happened. ). Fourth, try a different media (could be some Kai Pao Chicken sauce was added to the mix when the manufacturer ran out of some other ingredient) and finally, try changing from DMA mode to PIO mode. I had one burner once that just didn't like DMA mode but ran fine in PIO mode. Hey, whatever works.
    Last edited by ukulele; 03-16-2005 at 03:36 PM.