Thread: Will a chipped Athlon damage a mother board?

Will a chipped Athlon damage a mother board?

I have a Athlon 3200 xp with a chipped corner on the core. I'd like to know is if I put it in a board to try it will it hurt the motherboard in anyway if the CPU is damaged?
    empty your cup

I doubt it, but it could. If its a small chip I wouldn't worry about it. Do you have anyway of showing us a picture of the damaged chip?

i once chipped my old duron 800 in more places then 1 and eventually it died but did not damage my motherboard, but thats not to say that it can't damage a motherboard.

It shouldn't damage the motherboard. The most I'd see it doing is not booting - and the motherboard has no problem with that, though you might.

I tried to get a pic of it but my camera doesn't do macro, so the pics are to blurry to see anything. It is a really tiny chip in the bottom left corner of the core. Guess I'll try it then. Gonna order an AN7 to put it in. If it doesn't work stuck with my 2600 for now. If it fries the motherboard we RMA to Newwegg.
    empty your cup

yeah you be very unlucky indeed for the mobo to be affected

Originally posted by Methos_H
    I tried to get a pic of it but my camera doesn't do macro, so the pics are to blurry to see anything. It is a really tiny chip in the bottom left corner of the core. Guess I'll try it then. Gonna order an AN7 to put it in. If it doesn't work stuck with my 2600 for now. If it fries the motherboard we RMA to Newwegg.
    I'm sorry, but RMAing would be completely unethical there. Your sticking a piece of hardware that you KNOW has that potential to kill the board (however small) in the socket and even planning for the bad results. That isn't the same as sticking in a known working core in the board and having the board itself faulty. That is grounds for an RMA - ordering what equates to a lab monkey for your XP isn't.

Yes, newegg does millions in sales a year I'd imagine, but that still doesn't make it right. If your going to take a leak on a company, pick one that commonly treats its customers like trash if your going to order a board regardless. Don't take advantage of a good company though as that is what makes good companies go bad. Red Ink, especially red ink that isn't their fault.

the only way i can see it potentially hurting the board is for the chip from the core getting inside one of the pin holes in the ziff. But other than that, i suspect it would just not boot at all.
    AMD Phenom II x4 940 @ 3.41GHZ : Asus M3A78-T : 8GB DDR2 800 : Acer 23" 1080P Widescreen : ATi Radeon HD 4870 : OCZ GameXtremE 850 Watt PSU