Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Lost Hero. ....posted out of context items wil

ah. Bless 'em. Ours isda best.

Now please delete ya post.

Complete & Utter Member j.m@talk's Avatar
    It won't let me

Call 911

Good handle fer a Mod. Kiss it, fw.

Me granpappy allways said "Don't letcher schoolin get in the way of yer edjacashun!"

Think he got it from Roy Rogers actually.

I, on the other hand, absolutely hate this edit tattletale and time limit, as can be evidenced by my proliferation, or lack thereof, of quality posts ever since.
    Last edited by genesound; 06-09-2006 at 12:07 AM.

Errrr yeah .............

Lest we forget. Simple thanks to all who have sacrificed for freedom.
    During deep sleep IT came to me and the future of processing is clear.
    Future processors will primarily be digital tuning radios acting as grid computing nodes.
    Voila. See ya in hell.
    PROCESSING

what are we talking about???

During the time l spent searching online records for this topic, one event kept emerging and i'll point it up here as best l can.

Official records indicate the 8th pursuit group deployed to Port Moresby, New Guinea from 26th April, moving north from Townsville through staging posts to Papua. The deployment encountered severe bad weather which thoroughly disrupted matters. Combat was joined on
    30th April, 1942.

Previously however, at least six Airacobras and pilots had operated alongside the RAAF 75 Sqn at the beginning of April, 5th - 11th. l believe G.Brown was amongst this group of volunteers. Missions were flown, combat occured and records indicate all aircraft and pilots returned to Australia.

http://www.google.co.uk/gwt/n?mrestr...raham8thfg.htm

There is reference in Saburo Sakai's book Samurai to an engagement with airacobras on 11th April 1942 and the japanese claiming several victories.

http://www.ww2aircraft.net/forum/sto...facts-330.html

lt may well have been the 36th Pursuit Sqn's departure flight which came into contact with the Tainan Kokutai. The Japanese claims of victories that day and several previously do not to reflect in Usaaf official records. lt was a confusing and chaotic time as opposing airforces grappled ferociously. The USAAF mission was highly secret and the pilots would have learnt after a week or so not to dog-fight with the mitsubishi zero fighters. Full throttle dive out would have been passed on from the Australian aircrew.

Had the Coral sea naval battle of early May '42 gone the other way
    those forces in Port Moresby would have found themselves in a similar spot to their forebears in the Philipines and Java.

A photo l posted earlier and post again.. nope .. can't access it now - was members of 36 pursuit sqn at bivouac, gathered around the squadron sign.
    ITtread '36th Pursuit Squadron - first in New Guinea.'
    Future processors will primarily be digital tuning radios acting as grid computing nodes.
    Voila. See ya in hell.
    PROCESSING

http://www.army.mil/cmh-pg/books/wwi.../ChapterV.html

As General MacArthur acknowledged at the outset of the campaign to retake Buna, "the successful employment of any considerable number of troops on the north shore ... was entirely dependent upon lines of communication."

The only answer was supply by sea—an extremely hazardous undertaking. The shores between Milne Bay and Buna are washed by some of the most dangerous waters in the world, foul with coral reefs, for which no adequate charts then existed. On that primitive coast, piers or jetties could not be depended upon; the names on the map— Wanigela, Pongani, Mendaropu, Embogo, Hariko—do not indicate ports, but native villages consisting of a few thatched huts surrounded by coconut palms.

No landing craft of the kind that were later to make island-hopping feasible were then available to General MacArthur. He had to depend on small, shallow-draft fishing vessels that could navigate the reefs and approach close enough to the shore for supplies to be lightered through the breakers. For months the Small Ships Section of USASOS SWPA had been acquiring such craft from the Australians. Its so-called catboat flotilla could boast 36 at the beginning of July 1942: 19 trawlers, 4 harbor boats, 4 steamers, 2 speed boats, 2 ketches, 2 motorships, 1 cabin cruiser, 1 schooner, and 1 powered lighter. In early September the Small Ships men were establishing an operating base at Port Moresby from which their ships could carry ammunition up and down the southern coast of Papua, mainly from Port Moresby to Milne Bay. Plans for the attack on Buna made it necessary to extend this operation to the northern coast and to expand it considerably.
    Voila. See ya in hell.
    PROCESSING

Why dontcha holiday in PNG and walk the Kokoda trail.
    In the footsteps of the diggers.

Cook islands will do fer moi.... planning a trip and will maybe settle.

Voila. See ya in hell.
    PROCESSING

The Cookie monster lives there

Dunno why he's playin' wiv fruit in that pikkie tho'

PNG is full of head hunters............. http://www.distinguishedrecruiting.com/about.html
    Voila. See ya in hell.
    PROCESSING

Neither use to man nor beast me

herosrest]Cook islands will do fer moi.... planning a trip and will maybe settle.
    Well there's plenty room in the Cook Isles for you, most of them live here and NZ.