Thread: Should I use 512mb Crucial PC3200 alone or dual-channel w/ 512mb SimpleTech PC3200?

Should I use 512mb Crucial PC3200 alone or dual-channel w/ 512mb SimpleTech PC3200?

I've got a bit of a dilemna. I just bought 512mb of Crucial PC3200 to go with my Asus a7n8x. To those of you who suggested it, it works great! I still have a 512mb stick of SimpleTech PC3200 and I'm not too sure what to do with it. I know that the Crucial timings are CL=3 but I don't know what the SimpleTech is. Now, here's the question: Obviously I get better performance with the Crucial over the SimpleTech. However, would my performance improve even more if I install my SimpleTech alongside the Crucial in dual-channel mode? It seems to me that 1gig would be faster than 512mb hands down, but would the Simpletech be holding the Crucial back? I'm only running an Athlon XP 2200+ (266mhz FSB) right now, along with a XFX GeForce 6600GT AGP and SB Audigy 2. Thanks!

P.S.- I've already tried it with both sticks of ram in dual channel so I know it works. But which configuration is the fastest?

Ultimate Member
    With the Crucial being a slow CL3, how can you blankly assume that "it's faster"? Because the brand name implies that?

Aside from the known fact that dual-channel RAM on socket-A is 99 percent marketing hype from NVidia and 1 percent actual performance gain anyway, you'll of course be better off with both sticks in.

beside the fact that you will have double the memory for multitasking, photoeditting, etc.

I havent seen any ddr memory slower than CL3 but I would be suprised if you couldnt get both of them in dual channel running at least CL2.5.

Thanks, guys I'll try that out.

If you're still here try something else
    Use Everest or CPU-Z to find out both sticks' timings at all the possible speeds. "PC3200" doesn't really get utilized as long as you running only a 266MHz FSB processor.
    In dual-mode your memory will run only at 266MHz (PC2100), so you should be able to run both sticks with a lower timings ...
    And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers