Thread: turn on drag n drop

turn on drag n drop

Windows 98... won't cut n paste, drag n drop, create shortcuts, nuthin. How do you turn that back on?

EX Moderator-May He Rest in Peace rangeral's Avatar
    Its not something you turn on, could be your registry got corrupted. Start up to an msdos prompt and type

scanreg

at the prompt and it should give you some restores to use, pick an earlier one as the latest will be one of your recent startups with the same problem see how you make out. Some progs will have to be re-installed.

I tried scanreg & it said I have no errors & asks if I would like to back up the registry eventhough its already been done today. I tried scanreg/restore but can't find that file on this computer. Probably best to reinstall windows. Isn't there an easy way to preserve drivers & reuse them?

When starting the PC, press F8 repeatedly and select Command Prompt Only. At the prompt, enter SCANREG /RESTORE (note the space). You can also create a boot floppy in Add/Remove Programs and do the same thing.
    MS MCP, MCSE

Good news. I guess we finally massaged the registry enough it started working. I can drag n drop & all that good stuff. Thanks