Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: I need a new case...

I am or was a fan of the well engineered Lian Li cases, but as they are aluminum they are normally a bit pricey.

I have become a fan of Antec Cases in the past 11 months I have bought two 1650s, which came with 350W Smart Power PSU. It is a Steel case and you have to slide the top off and then remove both sides to install drives. That is the worst of it. It come with a 120 outflow fan just below the PSU and a empty 80 cage in front for the 80 intake fan of your choice. It has well labeled front panel connectors with up to three HDD LEDs. USB2.0 single header connection for the two front USB ports. The HDDs themselves are set up to use the installed rubber grommets for assistance with the noise. Very sturdy and well engineered, but not real convenient. Definitely not a hot swapper for HDDs, but excellent for a long term relationship. I paid US $52 for each one. Great value!

I also bought a Antec Sonata, Black Steel case, Easy open side latch. all drives are easy swappers (Well you still have to plug them in) Optical and floppy drives have rails that screw on and they just slide and snap into place. (You then have to fiddle with the connectors) It comes with 4 individually removable HDD trays. You have four screws that go thru the rubber grommets to hold the drive in the tray. Then you just slide the tray back in the desired slot and it will click in place. I have all my connections facing the open side of the case so I can easily fasten them. I don't know if you can reverse them, put on the connectors and then slide them in place, but I guess you could. This case has even more Front Panel connectors, easy to use including 1394. I love this case, mine came with a Antec TruPower 380 W PSU, but the new Sonata IIs come wit a 450 Smart power 2.0 which would be better in my opinion. US $99 to $106.

Finally I got a Antec P-160 aluminum case. It has an oddball removable motherboard tray, but It is my main case. Well engineered!

If I were buying a premium case today I would look hard at the Antec P-180 or the Lian Li 2000 series.

I am not a real fan of the doors that the Sonata and P-180, and many others have.... They are okay, but not my preference.
    Rig 1, MSI K9A2 Platinum, 6400 Blackie, 2 X 2048 AData, MSI 3870; Rig 2, MSI K9A2 CF, 5000 Blackie, 2 X 1024 Patriot PC6400, ATI X1900 XT, Rig 3, Abit AN8 Fatal1ty, Opteron 185, 2 X 1024 Corsair PC3200C2PT ATI X1950 XTX Rig 4 Abit UL8 3800 X850 Pro

Thermaltake has a new budget case that's actually fairly good, right up there with other value brands like Inwin, only nicer looking.

There is a good review of a Thermaltake on Sysopt home page. It has many of the features I like with Antec's Sonata and skips the Door. Their Swing case does not include a PSU which is fine with me as I am not locked to a brand of PSU that I might not prefer.

....and Yes I have a InWin Q500 it was/is a great case designed in the ninties, so a little dated now. Very sturdy.
    Rig 1, MSI K9A2 Platinum, 6400 Blackie, 2 X 2048 AData, MSI 3870; Rig 2, MSI K9A2 CF, 5000 Blackie, 2 X 1024 Patriot PC6400, ATI X1900 XT, Rig 3, Abit AN8 Fatal1ty, Opteron 185, 2 X 1024 Corsair PC3200C2PT ATI X1950 XTX Rig 4 Abit UL8 3800 X850 Pro

NewEgg.com has a great selection of cases with great prices. They are obsessed with fast shipping.