Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: I need a new case...

Hybrid View

I need a new case...

Hi all, I've been working on this prob for a while now and have been unsuccessful in getting solutions or answers. I've been on this site for a while now and have learned much. I'm a little shy on posting, but read everyday.
    I've recently upgraded my psu and a few other things. The psu has now presented a new problem. It came with a few new wires that aren't currently being used. They are, however, crowding the case. The psu is a perfect fit as I ordered it from pcpowercooling and it was the only one available at this level. I have an 8200 Dell Dimension "clam shell" case. I do not feel comfortable closing it. I cannot see what is going on when closing it. I just upgraded the rdram and it is very expensive. I'm not in the mood to break them or anything else of course. I've thought about cutting out the side and putting a window in, but I would rather buy a case with a door and be able to see inside while comp is running. Wouldn't mind having more than just a psu and hsf blowing out hot air.
    My other concern is the front panel. Do I find a case with similiar connections, desolder the old ones and then solder them to the new case? Not sure about cable lengths and to how to determine if mine will be long enough for the new case. If one of you were in my shoes, how would you go about solving this worst case scenario? Just leave it open? ugh! Takes up space. Kind of an eyesore. What specifications should I be looking for? I've posted a link to some pics. Have no fear, as these pics don't go over 58k. Hope these help. http://webpages.charter.net/wardrobe

if this issue really bugs you i would recommend using tie on straps. give it some engineering thought

those cases are fun to open but a pain in a neck if you decide to do some moding.

if you still have some cash to spend condsider getting another case. There are plenty of decent cases under $60
    I know nothing, but many don't know even half of what i know.

Thanks for reply. That's my problem, I get a little confused when I start looking. I want to get a case that would allow me a smooth changeover. It's the wires and front panel that I'm not sure about. I've never done this sort of thing before, but that doesn't say I can't. Just looking for some suggestionjs/cautions.

make sure its big enough to fit all your hardware inside plus it must have extra bays in case you would like to upgrade or add something.
    personally i like Chieftec Dragon series.
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...185&CatId=1509
    i have one in black colour. has enough room for all my goodies

as to wiring your power buttons, USB or 1394 (Firewire) refer to your motherboard manual. everything esle (IDE, SATA and power) are pretty straight forward. make sure you dont forget to connect CPU fan
    thats all i can think of at the moment. if you run in any problems you can always post here

I'm wondering if usb 1.1 to usb 2 will be a prob? Mine currrently is running 1.1. I'm looking at the cheiftec cases and they seem pretty nice. I'm also looking coolermaster and antec. Too many choices. Someone has told me that I won't be able to put the motherboard and psu in anything else. Saying that Dell's design doesn't allow you to. Hopefully he's wrong.

OMG!!! I cant belive the friggin Dragons are down to 40 bux. I got mine for like 60...but it came w/like 7 fans and only 5 places to put em.
    -TheCapt

You can always take a closer look on your motherboard - note all screws then check this case in local copmuter shop and compare. USB will not be a problem. Actual port on the case remains the same, its the chip on the motherboard that makes all the difference. USB would be least of my worries.

btw i'm starting to hate Dell. Not only they do not sell AMD based systems they are getting more proprietary. I got 3 Dimension 3000 just after new year. After trying to put Windows 2000 i found out that Dell is not offering any device drivers to download for the system al all. There was not even a driver cd with the systems. All drivers are for XP and they are stored in C:\DRIVERS folder. You are stuck with XP. So do not format before copying that folder somewhere safe.

I say Dell deserves a kick in the nuts for that.

i just checked the Dell web for drivers again. finally

my prayers were heard. partially. i still do not see W2K network drivers

I
    Last edited by willywonka; 01-26-2005 at 09:34 PM.

dell 8300

I was wondering if you had found a case that would fit all your components
    i have a Dell 8300, 6800 GT graphics card and inside i can fry an egg, need better air flow ,
    wanting to do the same thing
    please reply

yeah me too, my 8300 is so loud when gaming, extracing, burning, rendering anything apart from idling, it sucks.. do any of you know anyways i could mod my case/cpu to cool and reduce sound, or any cases that i could fit my dell motherboard into, its really startin' to annoy me!

Dell's clamshell cases house proprietary motherboards, they won't fit a standard case, at least not easily.

Wow, can't believe it's been almost 9 months since the start of this thread. I just wanted to quickly reply as I don't have time to go into detail. I will post some new pics of the new case asap. I've been running the dell stuff, successfully, for 8 months. I did some modifications with more to come. Been a fun project. Hopefully, in two days or so I will have some pics. Btw, it's a Kingwin case.

Well I put a new folder at the link above. If you'd like me to post more let me know. As you can see the connectors in the front are keeping me from putting on the cover. I have a remedy for this when I get time. I need to spend a little time in the machine shop, as I need to make a bracket for the power switch. The usb1 plugins will not be much of a problem. I plan on putting them in the 5.25 bay behind the cover. Also, I need to mount the original hsf to the top of case. I wanted to control the hsf so I got the Hardcano controller and put a Panaflow as the new hsf. Great fan. Not exactly sure at this very moment which one but I can find out if needed.
    The original fan has to be plugged in or you will get an error on boot up. That is why it will become a blowhole fan. Crappy thing Dell did, cause if it ever stopped working you will have to find an original or you will get the error. I have heard you can switch off error reporting in BIOS but I'm not sure if that's a good thing. Depending on the case you get, you will have to get creative with the green shroud. I grabbed my dremel and made a rectangular hole below the psu. Hotglued some rubber/foam to the shroud and bolted it to the MB tray.
    Crashman is right, I had to use the original MB tray as the MB wouldn't fit the new one. So I used an original hole on the old one and drilled 1 hole on the new tray. The tray fits snugly inside the new tray.
    Hope this helps. I will be glad to take more pics. When I get the rest of it done, I will post the rest of the story.

You don't have to make a bracket to connect the power switch and LED's, I've rewired Dell's connector before. Dell used to have ATX cases with the Intel OEM style connector, which I removed the backing from the ribbon cable, removed the ribbon, and installed leads from another case. For you it would be reverse, remove the backing off the other end of the cable, insert the leads from your case, and close it again.