Thread: swapping data without a server

swapping data without a server

Hi.

What I would like to set up, is a way of swapping files with my family in England. It mainly involves home movies, photo's etc of all the kids.

What would you guys suggest.

Would setting up a server be the best option, or is there a possibilty to upload the data direct onto their pc's.

If there is a possibility to direct upload, I can then use my full bandwidth to send the info when my internet connection is idle. This seems to me to be a quick alternative, or am I suggesting something thats not possible. It involves only my pc and my two brothers, so a full sever setup seems overkill (I have already spent a number of hours trying to set up a server, and I always have trouble setting up the ports etc, I tried using u-serve)

If anybody has any suggestions please let me know.

Ultimate Member
    Originally posted by Ol'Tunzafun
    http://www.portforward.com/
    How is that helping him?

Ultimate Member
    On most email systems, such as AOL or MSN Mail, you can
    attach any file you want up to a certain size limit.

The only downside to this is the amount of time it will take
    your internet connection to Upload the file & also how long
    it will take to Download at the other end.

Also, some ISP's Will Not Send an .exe file for fear of Viruses
    If you must send an .exe file, then put it into a ZIP or RAR
    format first then send it. Or change the file Extension to
    .TXT and then send, and tell the receipient to change the
    extension back to .EXE .. this will work and get around the
    ISP's limitations.

r5800 & ol'tunzafun

I had actually seen the post on this forum with the link about port forwarding. Thanks for the link, but unfortunately I have tried the link for my router, but still coming up with the same problem. My server program says it is running, but somewhere I cannot get people logged onto the server to access info.

BruceB
    The option AOL of MSN is fine, but I am restricted to uploading the data, which is a lot slower than somebody at the other end using their download speed to access the info. My brother in law has a download speed 5x faster than my upload and vica versa.
    Also the file sizes might be too large in some instances. What I am looking for is a guaranteed option that will always work.

Maybe there is somebody out there that can help me with a step by step cuide for NooBs.

This is what I have done so far :

Installed U serve with 3 users
    Set the router as DHCP server
    I have a DNS server name connected to my static ip address
    I have left it so far to listen on port 21, but this I will change when up and running.

The router I am using is a Thompson speedtouch 510 (adsl)
    My connection speed is 416 up / 2240 down

Any suggestions on what next?

Set the two systems up with a Remote Program.

Free Fast and Easy Remote Control, File Transfer, chat: Ultr@VNC (Remote Control for your Network/Interent) - Installation, and Settings.

I also looked into this, but the problem with this is that my pc would then be completely open, or can you specify a particular file map?

I have installed the prog to have a look but cannot see if this is possible.

I posted the link on port forwarding because it doesn't matter which app you use or even if you use a direct connection to your IP number, if you are having trouble configuring the ports, nothing is going to work, and if it does, there may be security problems.
    If you just want the name of an appropriate app, I would suggest a simple FTP server like Home FTP Server, though there are many other FTP servers that may be appropriate.
    I recommend FTP because of the Resume function. Movies are very large files. If a connection is dropped, you can always pick up where you left off.

http://www.snapfiles.com/freeware/se...ftpserver.html

Originally posted by gringo
    I also looked into this, but the problem with this is that my pc would then be completely open, or can you specify a particular file map?

I have installed the prog to have a look but cannot see if this is possible.
    Only One port 5900 has to be open ( (or you can change it to any other port that is not in use).

Last edited by cat5e; 12-28-2004 at 06:37 PM.

Sorry, when I meant the PC is open, I meant that the person accessing my PC has access to all my files.

I know it's family, but there are still files I don't want them to be able to access.

I had seen the part about opening just one port on the router.

I'll have a look at a home FTP server possibility.

Thanks so far guys.

Using NTFS? That's all you need to lock down any file, folder or volume you need. Just logon as the local admin and set permission accordingly.

I'll give it a try. That is probably what i'm looking for

Thanx