Thread: Holiday seasons once again = computer advice

Holiday seasons once again = computer advice

Ahhh yes, it is time again for me, as well as many others, to start considering an upgrade for my computer.

Heres the scoop, if any of you remember me from before, I about bought a computer this time last year, but I am 90% sure I will actually go through with it this time.

Currently have:
    p4 2.4ghz 533 bus processor
    p4PE asus motherboard
    pc2700 crucial memory - 1GB
    60 GB maxtor harddrive
    350 W antec PS
    audigy 2
    9800 pro

My computer runs fine, but it has been 2 years, and I am looking for an upgrade. Another factor is that my mom needs a new computer and I can give her most of this one and get a new one for myself

So what I am looking at is...
    3500+ = $267
    MSI k82 neo platinum = $138
    2 512 sticks of Mushkin Ram = $140
    Seagate 120gb = $89
    Ultra X-connect 500W PS = $99

This all equals $733...and I would keep the sound card and vid card in this computer as well. I am hoping the vid card will last me at least another year without being too much of a bottleneck...what do you guys think?

I would love to shave this done under 700 if possible, or if anyone has other suggestions...I was also strongly considering the Abit AV8 board, as it is $27 cheaper...

I could get more expensive RAM but I do not overclock it, and my friends mushkin ram is running just fine...but I am still open to suggestions...if someone finds ram for around the same price with these timings.

Also powersupply is much different than the usual antec suggestion...I really want the X-connect cables and have read some good reviews about the ultra...I hate not seeing it on newegg...but has anyone else tried this PS?

Also any other retailer suggestions would be appreciated as well...as I know there are others besides newegg and zipzoomfly, but I have not tried them before.

Thanks everyone, BigT
    Last edited by bigtfromkc; 12-06-2004 at 01:49 PM.

looks fine, yep the video card should last you another year, it is not the best but the games are very payable

Personally...I'd keep that Crucial, save the money...and see if you can OC it to run at 200MHz levels. I bet if you loosen the timings a hair...and bump the volts, it'll run at that speed...

I'm looking at the same board/CPU coming up.

I already have Crucial PC3200, a GB worth...and a whole bunch of other goodies, too...

I would almost sell off that sound card, and see how you like the soundstorm from Nvidia....it pleases all but the most picky of ears.

I would keep that Maxtor 60GB, don't buy the Seagate, and get a raptor...

The only question on that last point is...do you need the space, or do you want the speed?

I too need a PSU. Antec make a modular plug PSU, too...now, just like the ultra.

I already sent away for the SATA cable for that Ultra...now, I just have to buy it or that Antec....

Newegg.com is crawling right now...but, here's what you want...shoudl you go Antec:

http://www.compusa.com/products/prod...7036&pfp=srch1
    Last edited by dajogejr; 12-06-2004 at 09:00 PM.

I agree with Dajogejr, try to OC the RAM to 200MHz and if it'll go, that's all ya need. Otherwise Muskin is very good RAM, and you don't need anything more expensive unless you just want better timings. One thing you might look into, however, to save money is getting an Athlon 64 3000 or 3200 and OCing it to get the same or better preformance as the 3500. Reviews have shown that the 3000, 3200 and 3500 90nm's all OC pretty much the same, 2.5-2.7GHz on air. If you can get any of them to hit 2.6GHz or more, you basicly have a FX-55 for under $200 +/-. Also, unless you need the space or are planning on giving your drive to your mom, I would just keep the 60GB. Also, that Antec is a very good PSU and I've been looking into getting the same thing myself. And the Abit A8V is a very good board, and a good place to save a little money if you need too.
    Athlon 64 X2-3800 @2400MHz
    Asus A8N Motherboard
    GeForce 6800 GT @ 410/1100
    2048MB OCZ DDR550 2-3-3-8
    120gb Seagate / 160GB Seagate HDDs
    480W Enermax Whisper II
    Creative Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS Gamer

thank you for your input.

About the memory...my mom will need a considerable amount of memory, at least 512...as she does photoshop, programming, listens to the radio on her computer, surfing web, etc. all at once.

So either way I will have to buy memory for her...and I would really hate to buy more pc2700 memory (as that is the highest the p4pe board will hold) in order to try to keep my current 2700 memory alive.

Also, I do not know much at all about overclocking, and I am very leary about it. This does not mean I condone it at all but it is just something I don't understand very well. I tried to overclock my 9800 just a little bit...to like 380/340 (lol yes that is barely anything at all) and it resulted in dots and other artifacts all over my games. Maybe I just didn't know what I was doing ???

"I would keep that Maxtor 60GB, don't buy the Seagate, and get a raptor...

The only question on that last point is...do you need the space, or do you want the speed?"

Well, she will need a new hard drive regardless (as her current one has gremlin demons moaning at her whenever she tries to do something). Also I am constantly battling GB space with this 60 gb drive.

Another factor includes that I do not know much at all about RAID drives.

"I would almost sell off that sound card, and see how you like the soundstorm from Nvidia....it pleases all but the most picky of ears."

Very sound advice *nods*
    I think, I will just give the card to her, as she has my old 5.1 setup, and the audigy would be more useful to her. My current speakers are hooked up through a reciever and are tall stereo speakers, but only in a 2.1 setup.

"I too need a PSU. Antec make a modular plug PSU, too...now, just like the ultra."

Ahh yes, I did hear that Antec had one of these as well, although I did not know what its actual name was...on newegg it is about $117...hehe, of course I can't pass up on the quality of Antec, I will just have to decide if I like the shiny blue ultra one for $18 less. I might eventually go with the antec though, thanks for the suggestion.

And to Jedi, most of my reasons for going with the 3500 though is because of the 939 socket future... I was completely unaware that there were 3200 processors in the 939 socket. I like the idea of saving 70 bucks there. I have very little experience in overclocking processors...only have my 2.4 ghz at like 2.53 right now, as I have heat issues. I know the 939's run pretty cool, but in trying to get them up in the 2.5-2.7 range, what type of fan would have to be accompanied with this? I guess I could stick with stock fan, and get one later if I really feel that the 3200 was running too slow.

Also, do you know if the Abit A8V has a good built in sound card...at least equal to my audigy 2? If the MSI board truly has better sound then I think that will influence my decision a little bit. But one would imagine that most boards have similar sound technology by now...but I really wouldn't know as I have always had my precious audigy 2

Don't need to RAID anything, if you don't want to.

This board has an onboard RAID controller, but...you don't have to create a RAID array.

I went from a 60GB Maxtor w/ 2MB of cache to a single Raptor, huge difference.

Then, added another raptor for RAID0. Very fast, somewhat volitale, though. I practice a very safe backup routine on a regular basis though...with Symantec Ghost.

You'd just have to install the Raptor and set boot order to SATA instead of IDE...that's all.

The raptors are just too expensive for my taste. From what I have read the 10,000 RPM vs 7200 RPM does not equal that great of improvement in loading times of games, etc. Or at least not enough to justify the price.

The 74 gb Raptor is still $177 bucks and it would also not address my space problem I am having with my 60 gb drive.

Heh, I have never really been a big fan of backing things up...sure I have lost a few things but I am always cautious in what I do to my computer and have had zero problems with viruses, etc. over the past 2 years. Also I don't do important enough work on here to go through so much trouble.

I wanted to bring something else into the discussion...I have found a monitor on tiger direct...19 inch LCD monitor that is currently selling at a price of $369 compared to Newegg's $450. Both of these prices are fairly low for a 19 inch LCD, so one would think that the monitor would be bad...but as a gamer, the 12ms response time is very appealing. Maybe I am missing something big here

Link

Try to find reviews on this Monitor....you'll normally get reviews on if there are any Ghosting problems. 12ms response time can be VERY decieving sometimes imo...it's not always optimal for gaming.
    Live by it: RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\INF\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove

Gotcha...

There is a performance increase...and it is very nice.

However...dollar per GB, if you need that space, it just doesn't cut it....

Good luck!!

Thank ye daj.

Compgeek:
    Link to Newegg reviews

It appears that this monitor does not have a DVI capibility but this is something that I would never use...Finding other reviews from different sites is hard for this monitor. I am still at a loss as to why it is so much cheaper at tiger direct when most other things are actually more expensive there....

alright I have decided to go small...going with a shuttle case.

My main decision comes down to this now...

Spend $272 for a 3500+ 130nm

Or spend $225 on a 3200+ 90nm and overclock it to 3500 speeds (the 90nm is also nice as it would be less power consumption and cooler in the shuttle).

How easy would it be to overlock it from 3200 speeds to 3500 speeds? Would the mushkin ram I am getting easily do this? It is only 200 mhz difference isn't it?

why can't I edit my posts anymore

the 3000+ is rather enticing as well...at only $165 for OEM, I could also get a Zalman 7000 to cool it and get it around 2.2 ghz rather easily couldn't I? That is of course if the Zalman fits in the shuttle. I assume it would.

The 3000 is only $150 on NewEgg, and that's what I would go with. Reviews show consistantly high OC's of 2.5-2.7GHz with the 3000, 3200 and 3500. So if you're gonna OC, go with the 3000 and get a really nice cooler with the money you save and OC away
    Athlon 64 X2-3800 @2400MHz
    Asus A8N Motherboard
    GeForce 6800 GT @ 410/1100
    2048MB OCZ DDR550 2-3-3-8
    120gb Seagate / 160GB Seagate HDDs
    480W Enermax Whisper II
    Creative Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS Gamer

if you go for that upgrade...you will have the exact saem system as I am using. Its working well for me...and even with the 9800pro...i'm still manageing to play all games at highest settings with pretty high resolution! Wait another 6 months or so and pich up a 6800GT or similar for cheap.

Thanks for the advice guys.

I went ahead and got a Shuttle XPC SN95G5 with a 3200+ 90nm, 120 gb Samsung, 1 gb Corsair XMS. for $810.

I went with the 3200 instead of the 3000 because the shuttle is not known to be a great overclocker (even though it is a great motherboard stock). And the shuttle comes w/ great cooling so the Zalman isn't necessary.

I will just try my luck with the 3200 at getting to 3500 speeds, I guess it really isn't that big of a deal.

I couldnt justify spending $80 for the 3500 to gain a few more fps.

Thanks again everyone...everything is due to get here next tuesday...right when I go off for winter break for over a month, will be fun with my new toy