Thread: Epson printer - can I disable color?

Epson printer - can I disable color?

We replaced our Epson c80 printer, and now the c80 sits unused. It printed well, but the color cartridges just didn't last. I would like to use this printer on another PC for text (black only). The printer refuses to go 'ready' because the color cartridges are empty.

Is there anything I can do to allow black-only printing? I intend to use it on a Linux box, so any windows software hacks won't help.

I have heard about 'chip resetters' which can make the printer think the cartridges are new, but they are used with kits that refill the cartridges. I don't want to refill anything, just want to use the black without having to buy all new color cartridges.

I don't know of any way to disable it, but can't you just buy a colour cartridge then not use it? It'd at least be a one-off purchase then.

This is THE biggest pain in the rear that Epson ever thought up..those stupid little EPROM chips on the cartridges. The C80 is particularly hungry when it comes to eating ink . You could try the utility from the following link:-

http://www.weink.com/ecom/support/technotes/tsn14.htm

It's marked as the SSC Smart Chip and Printer Service Utility for Epson Printers.

I haven't tried it myself but it's worth a shot.

I personally own a C44UX and is dead cheap to run as it takes dirt cheap third party cartridges but then again I don't do an excessive amount of printing.

There is another way of 'fooling' the chip reader which involves taping over certain contacts on the cartridge chip(it involved covering up 2 contacts) but sorry I can't remember it and the magazine it was in has been binned.

Hope this helps.

T

Mod w/ an attitude Sterling_Aug's Avatar
    Some printers can have a black ink loaded in a color slot (if they are the same size) which gives you double the black printing quantity.

I don't know if this is possible on Epson or not.

In my case Sterling the colour cartridge is 3 joined together so impossible on mine and similar but on the c80 could be a very good suggestion but again I think the chip sensor will pick it up as a black rather than colour cartridge. Don't you just wish there was a button on the printer that says 'disable chip monitoring' ? lol

Just thought about this. Would be a neat project to write a new driver for epson printers to allow people the 'right' to use what they want.......hmmmmm when I have the time....back to my low level coding

T

By the way if the fishing on Schuylkill any good? Back over to Philly to see my brother next May hopefully

T

The c80 color cartridges (3 separate ones) are smaller than the black cartridge. IIRC, putting a color one into the wrong color slot will also cause problems.

I suppose I could buy the 3 color ones just to be an obedient little consumer. But I would prefer not to spend the $40 (3 x $13..) just to turn on a switch. And I would need a new black one ($36) anyway just to start printing. A whole new printer might be cheaper. It's just the principle involved that hacks me off. Having a perfectly good unit sit unused seems like such a waste.

Why bother? Even the black ink is a rip. I'd be looking for a used lazer printer instead.

I have had some experience with these epson printers, The service tools on the net often do not work. I have a C64 and currently have no magenta. I can not use the printer at all because it is out. I set the driver to only printB&W but the status monitor stops printing.

The ink is $12 USD per color. I have never replaced it because I use my laser.
    -- Mathias

You can use the epson chip resetter to reprogram the chip , but you do not have to fill it with ink , You only have to use it first to fool the printer in2 thinking its a new cartridge.

so your cartridge will still work , Even when empty

Ive just bought myself the epson C86 and find it a good little printer and i bought a few printer inks that i can refill l8r on.

www.jrinkjet.com

Mike