Thread: Acer Veriton 3200 keeps rebooting.

Acer Veriton 3200 keeps rebooting.

Hello all.
    Not sure if I'm in the correct forum or not, but Acer pc's are not to popular.

Anyway, I was giving a Acer Veriton 3200 ( win98se, 64 ram, PIII 900mgz) to fix.

As soon as it get to windows and ask for a password, I then hit cancel and it will go to the desktop for like maybe a minute, then reboot.

Funny thing is, I can get it to load up in safemode where I then install antivirus and spyware stuff which it finds a lot of spyware and some virus's and get's rid of most of it, but it still will not load in to windows.
    I tried different ram, different hard drives to do a clean install, different power supplys and the same thing, as soon as I get into windows desktop on 98, it will reboot.

I even tried to install windows xp, but I don't even get through half of the install and it keeps rebooting..

I'm really stumped on this. Maybe a bios virus? Who knows, but I've tried every thing I know what to do.

Any info on this would be greatly appreciated..

Thanks.

Mitch

A weak power supply can cause this. So can bad RAM.

Test your RAM:

www.memtest86.com

Formatting (erasing the hard drive) is an needed most likely. Installing Windows over a broken or infected version will result in a broken or infected upgrade most times.
    MS MCP, MCSE

Thaks for the reply BipolarBill. It's appreciated.

As I mentioned, I tried different sticks of ram in all 3 different slots. Memtest 86 keeps passing these
    I tried two different power supplys that work fine in other computers. I tried two different hard drives that work fine in other pc's as well.

The only thing left to check is CPU/Mother board and maybe corupted bios?

Thanks.

look for leaking or bulging capacitors on the motherboard. that's pretty common.

Im looking the the capacitors now, though I don't see any bulging, I do see some resido on top of a few. Looks like what you would see on a car battery terminals when when dirty.

Could this be a problem? The pc won't reboot in safe mode.

Would resetting the cpu/heatsink and fan help?

bad caps can definitely be the problem:
    http://www.badcaps.com/

also if it is a intel, and if it gets over 180 F it will reboot, i sure hope if does not get that high, if it does it will reboot godd luck

Im going to take a macro picture of the what looks like to be bad capacitors. I'll try to post it on my web site if I remember how, and I'll put a link to it here.

Ok Midknyte, I posted that picture of the capacitors.
    Go here.

http://userweb.suscom.net/~mman046/index.htm

Looks almost exactly like the bad caps on that site you sent me.

yep bad caps, also cleaning the computer helps to, it makeing the fans last long, also if too much dust builds up on the motherboard, it forms a condutor, and then when you remove it, the motherboard won't work, it is recomanded you clean computers out about 4-6 monthe

The bad capacitors are caused by defective electrolyte. This causes the electrolyte to dry up and gas forms - popping the cap.

Take the motherboard to a TV repair shop or purchase a soldering iron at Walmart for $10, get some solder "braid" at a hobby shop and find replacement caps. I'm lucky to have a good electronics hobby shop nearby. One of the employees told me how to draw out the old solder with the braid and I replaced 5 bad caps easily. Badcaps.net has all of this info you need.
    MS MCP, MCSE

I don't solder. I could I guess.

This was a friends computer I was trying to fix.
    It's only a PIII.
    I could go to my local computer show and probably pick up a PIII for under $100.
    I'd rather get something newer for my self. I'll ask my fried what he wants to do with the computer.

Thanks for all the help guys, its appreciated.
    I learned something new about bad capacitors...

Mitch