Thread: SERVER 2003 SATA Drive

SERVER 2003 SATA Drive

I am setting up a server with Windows 2003 operating system on 2 x Sata 80 GB Hard Drives. Originally the hard drives were installed in the server with Linux and set up as hot swappable.

Due to lack of information when setting up these drives for windows we had difficulty in getting the computer to recognise the drives from the Windows 2003 cd so to overcome that hiccup we installed a 80 gb IDE Hard drive and loaded it up with everything and is working like a charm on Windows 2003 server.

We require the 2 x Sata drives to be in this system for synchronization purposes so now are trying to figure out a way of transferring the IDE Drive to the Sata Drives ( cloning) and once achieved how we then go about having the data on each drive automatically kept up to date

Thought we could overcome the issue with Seagate Disk wizard but that would not allow it to happen in Windows 2003 Server. Also tried Partition Magic 7 but that too rejected win 2003 stating use Volume Manager instead.

I must admit that I am raw in the above issues as have not previously loaded Sata drives nor loaded th Windows Server 2003 so everything is back to school in this wonderful world of changing technologies.

Does Windows 2003 server have the option of transferring data or cloning direct to another drive

Mod w/ an attitude Sterling_Aug's Avatar
    You may be better off simply downloading the SATA drivers onto a floppy and einstalling Win2003 Server from the CD and pressing F6 to load the drivers at the very begining of the install.

Sata Win2003 issue

Thanks Sterling but as I said I have been able to load the drives ok and have them re boot singually so the F6 has been done and also the drives have all their devices now installed but that is not the issue.

Mod w/ an attitude Sterling_Aug's Avatar
    Yes it is the issue.

You have Server on the IDE drive and you want to transfer it to the two SATA drives.

You can only install Server on one of the drives after you make it bootable. The other drive will be for data and program installs.