Thread: Overclocking modded 9800np @ pro...

Overclocking modded 9800np @ pro...

So I've got this Sapphire 9800 that was modded to a 9800pro. I've had it for a while and I'm now looking to push it a bit further and I've got some questions.

For those of you that have the above mentioned model, how far have you ben able to push your GPU and mem? My card has the 3.3ns Samsung memory.
    Can you push it to the 9800xt speeds?
    I've seen that some people can run their cards at XT speeds, but instead of OC'ing the card they flash the BIOS instead of just running it OC'ed. Is there an advantage to doing that?
    I'm also looking to get an ATi Cooler 3 by Artic Cooling both for reducing the noise and temps on the card. Is this the one to get for my card or is it one of the previous versions? Anyone have any comments on this VGA cooler?

Thanks!
    ~illroot

The reason ya see alot of people flashing is the sapphire pros can come with 2 cores the r350 which you cant flash and the r360 which you can flash to xt. The r360 has 2.8ns ram also.

I have the same sapphire 9800np flashed to pro with 3.3ns ram and an arctic cooling rev.3 silencer on it. The fastest i have managed to get it running was 440/745. However there was some artifacts and pixel drop at that speed. Not too bad for a card clocked at 325/590 when i bought it.
    Btw 9800xt speed is 412/730.

I noticed the Artic Cooler rev.3 doesn't have memory cooling, did you stick heatsinks on the memory or just leave it the way it is?
    What speeds are you running it at now?
    ~illroot

I just left the memory as it was. I have it running at stock 9800pro speeds(380/675) as my monitor refresh rate drops to 60hz at anything over 1024x768. At that res i can run any game with max details on with no problems. (doom3 and far cry included)