Thread: Gmail Drive

Gmail Drive

http://www.viksoe.dk/code/gmail.htm

GMail Drive is a Shell Namespace Extension that creates a virtual filesystem around your Google GMail account, allowing you to use GMail as a storage medium.
    GMail Drive creates a virtual filesystem on top of your Google GMail account and enables you to save and retrieve files stored on your GMail account directly from inside Windows Explorer. GMail Drive literally adds a new drive to your computer under the My Computer folder, where you can create new folders, copy and drag'n'drop files to.

Ever since Google started to offer users a GMail e-mail account, which includes storage space of a 1000 megabytes, you have had plenty of storage space but not a lot to fill it up with. With GMail Drive you can easily copy files to your GMail account and retrieve them again.
    When you create a new file using GMail Drive, it generates an e-mail and posts it to your account. The e-mail appears in your normal Inbox folder, and the file is attached as an e-mail attachment. GMail Drive periodically checks your mail account (using the GMail search function) to see if new files have arrived and to rebuild the directory structures. But basically GMail Drive acts as any other hard-drive installed on your computer.
    You can copy files to and from the GMail Drive folder simply by using drag'n'drop like you're used to with the normal Explorer folders.

Because the GMail files will clutter up your Inbox folder, you may wish to create a filter in GMail to automatically move the files (prefixed with the GMAILFS letters) to your archived mail folder.

Please note that GMail Drive is still an experimental tool. There's still a number of limitations of the file-system (such as total filename size must be less than 40 characters), and it doesn't make full use of the secure internet protocols available.

This could be useful if you're affraid of RIAA lawsuits.

great app, thanks

Excellent find, now if it was just able to hold exe's and zips...

What advantage would this really have over a USB thumbdrive though?

Been trying to think of ways I could use this as it sounds rather nice but I personally cant come up with one.

Any ideas? Possibly to share pictures, etc with others?

Perhaps to put documents up in order to share over the net w/o the need of a thumb drive to transport the files?

It also allows you to upload mp3's, I wonder if that'll change soon...

Nice find Midknyte, going to give it a try.
    Thanks !

is gmail free with that cool 1gig of space they must have lots of big ""pretty"" drives
    buy the cheeseman

Originally posted by cheeseman
    is gmail free with that cool 1gig of space they must have lots of big ""pretty"" drives
    Nope, you have to get an invite.

So this is basically a virtual drive on your computer that stores it in your email space. So if you wanted to send a bunch of attachments, you could just put them in there and send them off instead of attaching them one by one?

Ill go and give it a try,

doesn't this void your agreement with google though in some way??? i would think something like this would not be allowed.

I've installed the newest version - 1.02, rebooted... all looked fine until I wanted to send a file by email from the Send To menu. The Gmail connection window popped up instead of the usual menu. When I hit cancel, it crashed. I uninstalled it and when I rebooted, XP froze... System Restore time..

Anyone had similar problems ?