Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: cup fan going bad?

cpu fan going bad?

I built my system about 2 1/2 years ago - April '02 - with much help from you fine folks on these forums. It's worked great until the past couple of days, and now I'm back for more help...

I have an Asus A7V266-E MB w/ Athlon 1800 and a Thermaltake Volcano 7+ CPU fan. The past couple of days, the fan, at times, sounds like a model airplane.

The ASUS utility tells me that the fan speed decreases when the fan is extra noisy, but returns to normal when it's running silent. It's around 3300rpm when it's silent and ~2900 when it's noisy.

I'm thinking that this is the fan is going bad? If so, I have a few questions...
    [list=1][*] How difficult is it to replace the cpu fan?
    [*] Is there a chance that I can damage the CPU if/when I do this? (obviously, if I'm not careful I will damage it - but is this a routine thing or does it get extra difficulty points?)
    [*] Do I need to clean the chip (w/ alcohol I assume) & add more thermal compound or can I just install a new fan? How much of the alcohol should I drink before I make the switch to insure success?
    [*] Do I need to remove the MB to make this switch?
    [*] If I remove the MB and install a new CPU fan, am I most likely going to have windows or other software problems, or will Windows not even know anything has happened?[/list=1] Thanks in advance for your help. I hope my computer hangs in there until I get some replies!
    Last edited by Davermonk; 10-09-2004 at 10:46 PM.

replacing a cpu fan is very easy you dont need to take the motherboard or anything off just unscrew the fan from the heat sink and skrew a new 80mm fan on. very very hard to damage anything in this process.

but im not sure if you mean you wanna replace the fan or the whole heatsink & fan unit if so then it's gets a bit more tricky as power supplys and stuff gets in the way, the easiest way is to remove the motherboard from the case but is not essential to do this, but trying to get the heatsink and fan off while still in the case will be ok but frustrates the hell out me cause it take patience

make sure you dont scratch/chip the CPU when pulling or putting the heatsink on or off.

replacing the thermal paste is advised and cleaning it is a good idea but again not totally essensial unless there is thermal paste all over the place then maybe a quick clean up would be warranted, i just use ear buds to get rid of any excess paste.

no windows or software wont have any problems booting up again because changing the fan has nothing to do with the HDD or anything.

Re: cup fan going bad?

Originally posted by Davermonk
    How difficult is it to replace the cpu fan?
    Like widget said, you only really need to find a new fan that'll fit, but if you want to replace the whole shebang...

Is there a chance that I can damage the CPU if/when I do this? (obviously, if I'm not careful I will damage it - but is this a routine thing or does it get extra difficulty points?)
    If you're clumsy and/or drunk (see below), it's perfectly possible to damage the CPU. Take the mobo out of the case before you start, it makes messing about in there much easier, plus you can actually hold the board at eye level to see if the heatsink's flush with the CPU.

Do I need to clean the chip (w/ alcohol I assume) & add more thermal compound or can I just install a new fan? How much of the alcohol should I drink before I make the switch to insure success?
    Yep, clean off any thermal paste with alcohol (or scrape pads off with something non-metallic) and apply a thin layer of fresh thermal goop.
    Drinking rubbing alcohol isn't advisable, but a few beers wouldn't hurt, unless you're a lightweight.

Do I need to remove the MB to make this switch?
    Not strictly necessary, but like I said, it does make things much easier.

If I remove the MB and install a new CPU fan, am I most likely going to have windows or other software problems, or will Windows not even know anything has happened?
    You're not changing any hardware (that Windows cares about anyway), so you won't have any problems.

Have fun

Cup fan?? Which one is that again?? hehe

~Had to say it~

Keeps your drink cool. Wow, what a n00b

First I would reseat the heatsink on the CPU. If it managed to get a bit off it would make quite a racket. However, its probably toast.

Replacing it is pretty easy, although reasonably scary with the Socket A's (pushing that hard with a screwdriver directly towards expensive hardware scares me).

I wouldn't take out the Mobo, but you can if you want too. http://www.arcticsilver.com/ has a pretty good guide about applying thermal paste, and how to clean/prep the CPU if you just removed one.

Ok, I wanted to update my status and ask another question.

First off, I second-guessed my original "diagnosis" and figured that the PSU fan must have been the culprit. It's so dang hard to hear exactly where the noise is coming from that it's easy to "assume" incorrectly - right?

So, I ordered a new PSU from newegg (same brand & voltage but newer model). Installed that and 2 minutes later the noise was back - and getting worse! So next step was to order a replacement CPU fan from newegg around 1am this morning.

As I sat here today (Saturday) the noise was becoming unbearable... so given the choice between turning off the computer & doing something else, or trying to "fix" the problem... of course I couldn't give up my computer time!

So flashlight in one hand and small screwdriver in the other, I started putting slight pressure on each fan, trying to find the source of the vibration. Turns out the CPU (Tt Volc 7) was not causing any vibration whatsoever. Then I spy a little fan next to the cpu fan...

When I pressed on this fan, it affected the noise - didn't stop it, but the vibration I felt through the screwdriver was consistent with the whining - if that makes any sense.

I tried to tighten the 2 screws that my screwdriver would fit (upper right & lower left on 2nd pic) but no luck. Next, I turned off my computer, loosened the 2 screws and blased the fan with compressed air (maybe there's dust under the fan?) At first, the fan didn't want to spin but it eventually seemed to free up and started to spin freely.

Tightened the screws up and turned computer back on. So far, it's been 10 minutes and the noise is gone.

This make any sense? Oh, and in reponse to some of the above posts, all this was accomplished with 2 Newcastle Brown Ales... Probably one or two more in celebration if this actually works!!

And to top it all off, I was able to cancel my latest order from newegg with no penalty

Sorry for the long post!!

I'm in the process of getting some specs together on my "next" computer... and I plan to post the info here to get your input... so you haven't heard the last from me!

Thanks again!

I used to have one of those a7v266 with the same northbridge fan. I eventually replaced it with a passive zalman heatsink. Much quieter and probably does a much better job of cooling.
    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatal...of_Zalman.html

Edit: You really need to clean some of that arctic silver off the cpu.

In addtion to cleaning, peel the label back on the fan to expose the bearing and put a drop of machine oil on it. Apply sparingly and wipe off any excess. Flatten the label back & you're good to go.

You really need to clean some of that arctic silver off the cpu
    This isn't my pic - I borrowed it from a website that had a review of the mobo. But I'll be sure to pass along the info...

Hey Fluffy, I took a look at the NB cooler - does the fan come off with only the 2 screws, or do the other two things (upper left & lower right in the pic) need to be loosened as well? And if so, how?

Bubb, I'll try the oil... thanks!

btw, it's been over 24 hours now and still no noise. I guess my "blast the #$!! out of the fan with compressed air" strategy did the trick!! Is that a substitute for kicking it when your foot won't fit inside the case?

I hope you used one of those compressed air cans specifically made for this sort of situation. Don't ever, EVER use an air compressor inside a PC case full of hardware.

Excellent.

The 2 screws are what holds the fan onto the heatsink. To remove the heatsink you need to remove the mobo from the case and pop the other 2 plastic pins thru from the other side.

I recently had to replace my NB fan on my Abit Mobo. It's only 5 months old, but I figured that the $10 it cost me for a new and better one was worth the hassle rather than RMAing the Mobo and having to basically rebuild my system. I used a Kit from VANTEC that is a copper framed fan w/ballbearings.

It also came with some thermal grease and 2 solid copper heatsinks w/thermal tape. I used the heatsinks on both the southbridge ( doubt it needed it but hey, it can't hurt and put the larger one on my audigy sound cards main chip {not sure it needs it either, but, why not}) The fan was almost an exact size replacement for the factory cheapo ( it is stamped metal and crummy and now inoperative). The only thing the new fan didn't have ( and I didn't pay attention when ordering ) was the wire for the RPM sensor. That's OK, cuz I disabled it for that fan.

You will probably want to try to replace that fan ASAP because I too tried cleaning and tightening mine, and it failed after about a month after I did that too it. This one with the solid COPPER HS is probably better anyhow.