Thread: Try figuring THIS ONE out!!!

Try figuring THIS ONE out!!!

Buddy deleted a couple of programs and compressed my entire hard drive. Now when I go to "My Computer" (and any subcategories from there) some files are in usual black font WHILE OTHERS ARE NOW BLUE!!! What's with this and is it a problem?

If the OS is 2K or XP u shouldn't be able to boot the drive if he compressed the hole drive, u'd get a ntldr error. Try uncompressing any folders ur friend compressed, right click folder/drive > properties > at bottum u'll see were u can compress or uncompress a folder or drive.

The blue files are compressed.

It's not a problem now but could be if you use imaging software, try repartitioning the drives or run out of drive space. A better alternative is to add another harddrive if you need the space. If you didn't need the space in the first place then you shouldn't use compression.

Now when I go to "My Computer" (and any subcategories from there) some files are in usual black font WHILE OTHERS ARE NOW BLUE!!! What's with this and is it a problem?
    The blue files, as indicated by SM8000, are encypted or compressed NTFS files. It's not a problem, and if you want o disable this feature - assuming you're running WinXP.

start>control panel>folder options> select the "view" tab> towards the bottom of the list untick "Show encrypted or compressed NTFS files in color.

Hope this helps - best of luck.

Re: Try figuring THIS ONE out!!!

Originally posted by robnyt
    Buddy deleted a couple of programs and compressed my entire hard drive. Now when I go to "My Computer" (and any subcategories from there) some files are in usual black font WHILE OTHERS ARE NOW BLUE!!! What's with this and is it a problem?
    Sounds like your buddy has nothing better to do with his time maybe? Were you really out of room, going to a compressed drive with NTFS is no match for coughing up a few bucks for a new and larged drive.