Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Would you install SP2 for Windows XP on a computer you just built for a customer?

Would you install SP2 for Windows XP on a computer you've just built for a customer?

I want to "hear" everyone's opinion. Thanks!
    Last edited by nothing; 09-21-2004 at 09:11 AM.

If it wasn't a rush job ie. I had time to sort stuff out if it went wrong, then yes. Personally, I've had no problems at all with the two PCs I've installed SP2 on so far - in fact one of them is performing noticeably faster.

if it's for a home pc then not a problem in a corporate environment then no way

Sure I would, for a home PC. I don't have any corporate customers and don't want any, so that isn't an issue.

I've been running it on my own PCs since beta and have had no issues that weren't easy enough to resolve. Some default settings are different, but that's no biggy, just a small diffeence in how you set things up.

What about the built-in firewall. Should I disable it to make things simpler and avoid phone calls?

I wouldn't disable it but can you set it to medium or low? I don't remember. Also my computer at home is running SP2 and I know that it is performing alot better! I would not install it in a work enviornment because most all of the performance boosts were in 3d gaming anyway!

First I'd want some time. I haven't even installed it on mine yet. I want to have the time to work out the kinks. Once I have that, probably would install it.

If it was for a completely new installation then I would install SP2 but for one with info/apps on there already (especially with a firewall on it) then I'd have to think about it. Personally it did not like my system at all. Got too much apps/data/etc on mine which would be a big headache to reinstall.

T

I'd wrather install WinME any day of the week. I have a job next week to upgrade a WinME systyem to XP and I am not looking forward to it. The problem is that the customer could not get Win2000 locally so she already bought XP. SP2 is far too unpredictable to relish the thought of installing for any paying customer. Anything I do with XP from now on is charged by the hour including future trouble shooting.

I would definately install it on a home machine; I haven't had any problems upgrading on my machines. Although even with the security patches I wouldn't go back to IE

For a home user, I think it's better to install SP2 now. It will eventually be loaded by windows updates. It would be more of a problem if they had dialup and windows update tried to install SP2.

I think a slipstreamed SP2 runs more reliably than an update! So I would slipstream it into an XP CD, install from that using the original's key, give the user the original copy\key and keep the slipped copy for myself (though not the key) to use on future new builds or repairs. It wouldn't be illegal as long as you don't re-use the key somewhere else.

Install it. I haven't had a problem with SP2, yet. And I went to SP2 without doing a fresh install. Been running XP Pro (no re-installs or fresh installs) for over a year now. Upgraded to SP1 then 1a, and then SP2, all of which without doing a fresh install. Of course, I backed up my system first, in case SP2 hosed it.

Install it, SP2 is not as bad as it has been made out to be.

Another vote for installing it. I would slipstream with the original XP CD and give them both the original and slipstreamed CD's.

Good luck!