Thread: Reinstall - Windows Update problems

Reinstall - Windows Update problems

I had an older computer Asus P5A Windows 2000 computer. I decided to reinstall windows 2000. It was a reformat clean install. All goes well but now when I go to windows update it will go to 66 percent hang there for a while then show 28 critical updates. When I hit review and install updates it then will take a while then go to page cannot be displayed.

I then went to get the full download of Windows 2k sp 4 and installed that on this computer. I also got Explorer 6.0 sp 1 and installed that in. I then went back to windows update and I still get the same problem.

I did another clean install but still have the same problem with windows update.

Any help, suggestions.

Found my problem. As I sat there thinking why isn't this computer downloading from windows update website but the other computers on the lan has no problem. I then remembered that we recently chaged DSL provider from AT&T to Verizon. When we made the move we had problems with our emails and the fix for that was to change the Maximum transmission units.

So that finally hit me what is different with this older pc from the others, MTU size. I changed the MTU size from 1500 to 1492 and now windows update works fine.