Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: HL2 Screens: Doom who and Far what?

Ultimate Member

HL2 Screens: Doom who and Far what?

http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33775919
    In particular this:

...it's just so much more detailed and spanky than the exact same scene from the Sept 03 Alpha, indeed, i'd grab a screen for y'all to compare, but valves lawyers woudl probably beat me around the head with a kipper

--Jakk
    Last edited by Bigjakkstaffa; 08-18-2004 at 02:41 PM.

I think that looks awesome and although the game has a dark feel, its not over the top dark like Doom and I'm sure it will have its scary points as well.
    Visionology Interactive Media
    http://www.visim.com

Originally posted by BadBadNeil
    I think that looks awesome and although the game has a dark feel, its not over the top dark like Doom and I'm sure it will have its scary points as well.
    Hopefully I can do a bit better with HL2 than I did with Doom3

I was looking at some shots from HL2, its was a city street/alley (I can't find the pic anymore) and I wondered if it really was a screenshot or a picture.

Ultimate Member

?

--Jakk

naw, it was the one with the sat dishes.

Thar she is!

Ultimate Member
    That's the research photo's that the above is based on

--Jakk

Thought so...

but even so...

pretty good.

**** that shot is amazing. The details really make a shot like that. Its really grungy looking, just like real life with wires, graffiti, broken concrete. Hell I even think from looking at it that it has a realistic depth of field with the background objects blurring somewhat. Since it should have a great multiplayer I should be playing this game for a long time.

Ultimate Member
    My only concern is that theyre not gonna deliver it until after or the end of September, i'm moving out about then (With any luck) and prolly won't get back up to play it until December, while my Dad (who is a huge HL fan - and he's not really into FPS') will no doubt be playing it day and night

--Jakk

If this game doesn't come out in time i'll just order it online, rush the shipping, and get it sent to my college mailbox the next day

so will we need even better graphics cards now?!?!?!?!

that looks better than doom 3

Ultimate Member
    I doubt it, while its likely that the X800 range have probably had some whizzo features added specifically for them (the only thing that strikes me is SM2.0b shaders - as its th eonly really major feature change), the HL2 engin is (originally anyways) built aroudn the feature-set of the R3xx range, so should be more than playable while still drop dead gorgeous, ofr those of us on cards that are a year or more old.

I personally ran the Alpha on my 9800 Pro under the DX9 path with HDR effects and full detail at 1024x768 and it runs pretty smooth most of the time (particularly for an Alpha), though as states these recent screens loom MUCH better than the build i've played

--Jakk

I would also think that since HL is a much more popular and larger scale multiplayer game they can't have a laggy game that is computer intensive.

After the severe dissappointment Doom 3 has turned out to be, I may be somewhat forced to buy HL2 though I've been "somewhat" against Gabe and his BS. The engine from screens looks great, and if it matches up well with a 9800 Pro - well there is a time killer I don't have now that I've seen that Doom 3 is an ultimate failure IMO. I'm definantly going to wait and see how people like it overall (not getting Doomed again), but I may just have to consider getting it as there really isn't much of an offering out there. Splinter Cell and Ghost Recon possibly, but that is it, and both a bit outside of a true FPS. I'm drunk BTW, so I may decide that I'm still not gonna buy it, but who knows now with Doom's utter failure to entertain.

Ultimate Member
    Don't hold back SS, tell us how you REALLY feel about Doom 3.