Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ballistix Review

Your Friendly Editor

Ballistix Review

Use this forum thread to comment on SysOpt's review of the Crucial Ballistix memory modules. .
    SysOpt's Illustrious Editor

If there was ever a reason to not use crucial, it's gone. They have it all now with the usual doses of reliability and compatibility and now extreme performance. They're truly a success story.

Yes, I've always relied on Crucial for ordinary upgrades with the highest stability and compatibility across platforms. I was quite impressed with this RAM's ability to operate at extremely tight timings using stock speed and voltage as well as its capability to reach rated speeds at good timings with moderate voltages. That's something my Corsair RAM could never accomplish.

With Corsair, it came down to a tough decision at purchase time, deciding between tight timings OR high clock speeds. And I still remember several boards didn't work with their LL modules at stock settings in dual channel mode, requiring fussing with BIOS such as raising the vCore just to get them stable at PC3200 speed.

Crucial certainly took their time on this one, but I think the wait paid off. Corsair may have improved their memory, but Crucial eliminated the negative publicity by not releasing modules until they had them at 100% quality.

It's nice to see Crucial going for the enthusiast market. Their high standards of stability and compatibility will certainly force other makers to follow suit, making this a very competitive market rather than one dominated by fast but otherwise mediocre products.

Originally posted by Rob R.
    If there was ever a reason to not use crucial, it's gone. They have it all now with the usual doses of reliability and compatibility and now extreme performance. They're truly a success story.
    Seconded.

Only thing that was holding them back was a "performance" chip. Even though their RAM out of the box will overclock...but, I think we'll agree...there are other pure speed RAM brands out there. Till now...

Corsair is now releasing higher speed modules with the same or actually tighter timings than the initial release using the same IC's (Sansung). Seems both Micron and Samsung have very good IC's. Micron's (Crucial) is a true DDR 400 IC IIRC, though Samsung's is a DDR 500 which just happens to be able run very tight and stable at DDR 400-433. It is nice to see Crucial back in an area where they sorta pioneered being one of the first makers to supply good and constantly reliable modules to the market (PC-2100/2700 days). Competition can't hurt and I don't think you could go wrong with either module given both companies reputations and real showing to the customer that they want there products to be worth every cent. You don't get that much in honesty nowadays. Corsair is guilty of this as well, though the day a review was published showing mistimings (www.legitreviews.com) Corsiar relabeled the RAM and retested it's stock in question.

Will have to pay a bit more attention to memory when I go to upgrade the platform than before it seems.

Always use Crucial and will continue to.
    Another review:-

http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=1629

shows that it is obviously very impressive RAM.
    When I upgrade it will definitely be Crucial yet again.

T

Sysopt is better than PC Stats because the pages load so much faster on a slow connection! I know that sounds silly to you high-speed guys, but the fact remains that MOST of the U.S. doesn't have high speed access! That's because it's not financially feasable to run cable or dsl to remote areas which make up most of the U.S. landmass. Sysopt actually goes to some great lengths to make their page available to everyone.

Not to forget that some Sysopt writers are obviously revealing problems with certain products that nearly every other site overlooks.

Edit: I just noticed that PC-Stats didn't even go to the extra effort of finding out what markings were beneath the Ballistix logo on the RAM! Could it be they didn't have the resources for a high tech chip scrubber? Mine's labled "old timer" and cost $9 at Wal-Mart!
    Last edited by Crashman; 08-21-2004 at 12:45 AM.

On a side note...Crashman, 50% of surfers in the US either have broadband access at home, or...have it readily available...

Go Chips....

Access to a website shouldn't be contingent on a person living in a city though. Some of us can't afford to live in a city, others simply don't want to. Some that do live in cities still can't afford broadband, I shouldn't have to go to the library to read reviews!

Crash...I'm not saying you should live the the burbs or city...I'm just stating a statistic, that's it and that's all

For gods sake I never ever thought that posting a link would ever create ANY response execpt..thanks...because the more reviews the more we know.....

Sorry I'm now , eventually on DSL, and maybe lucky to live close enough to receive it., and no I do not live in a major city I know what you mean by dial up..I couldn't live with it anymore....you get used to fast DSL.

I know the USA is ALOT bigger than UK but maybe for once it's not that great..lol...only kidding...no quotes. Obviously it takes alot less to connnect our systems because of less distance.
    I don't know but can't americans connect via sattelite if they are in distant areas?

T

Satellite broadband requires a significant financial commitment.

I actually live close enough to a town to get cable, but they stick it pretty hard to you: Only $11 a month for "limitted basic" which they don't even tell you exists, but $30 a month for cable internet requires you to upgrade your cable package! DSL would be nice but it's not available.

ho_hum

think about it....
    are forums really discussion boards, or more like wednesday night at the local dart pub.

here we start off talking about a review and a product, Crucial's PC 4000 DDR modules. we end up talking about internet connections. duh.

must be all the chemicals and drugs (prescribed) that causes all the ADD. ****.

at least sysopt told us they reviewed and tested the PC 4000 and not the PC 3200. Sometimes you really can't tell unless you get down on the bathroom floor and read the ash leaves.

Glad Micron got into the game. It DOES appear they have a pretty good product. Think the competion will drive the price down. Twenty bucks on 1GB would be nice. (Hate that sales tax). Anyway, just venting. I would have liked to see a more detailed run of the Crucial PC 4000 on Anand's site to see how they measure up. Wonder why he didn't do that. I quess he is too fascinated with the wonders of the female form and mind to concentrate these days. Can't blame him, especially when he did not do the review. WESLEY, get it together Bro....

Just tell them to send me a 2.4C that can hit 275MHz bus at 1.56v...and some of those other new RAM samples they have...and I'll save them the effort of testing, writing, publishing by doing the more comprehensive review myself.

Yeah, and I'll write a verifying review, so I'll need all that stuff as well.