Thread: router problems

router problems

i am having a severe problem with my router. every night around 3AM my internet decides to turn off. i think it is being caused by DHCP on either the router or broadband modem.

it is a sparkcom broadband router, 4-port 10/100mbps with an internal switch.

my current solution to the problem is to connect to the router internally (that works fine) and save & restart.

any suggestions would be appreciated

as i was typing this post it went off again 5 minutes after i had restarted it

Have you been to the manufacturers website and downloaded and installed the latest firmware?

Was it ok when you originally bought it
    How long has it been running
    ADSL or Cable?
    Need a lot more info!
    This post has been verified as complete b0ll0cks by Microsoft B0ll0ckfilter v1.2344456567 service pack 1001 (c) 2004

Disclaimer: I apologise in advance if my post is offensive to anyone especially fancyf!

Cable will provide an address automatically...(DHCP)

Some DSL parties I've worked with assigned and IP for you to enter manually...some used software and a PPPoE userid/password config.

More info...more info we say!!

my ISP is NTL UK and it is cable, i am running the router in DHCPc + NAT, i have options to run it in PPPoE + NAT, Static IP + NAT, Router and PPTPc + NAT

there is a built in automatic firmware upgrade on the router

i run port forwarding on one of my applications and 2 or 3 computers with static IPs with their MAC addresses

if you can find the manufacturers website i would goto it but i cant find it....

i did goto the computer dealership where i bought it from and they exchanged me my old one for a new one and it does the same thing.

i did run the router with static IP + NAT for a while and i think it did the same thing, im running it again in static. generally speaking my modem is a Motorola SurfBoard SB4100 and before i had the router i didnt have this problem

i was thinking of changing the router to a switch with an uplink port because i used one for a while and i could still get on the internet with 4 computers

i would like the router to run seamlessly without changed the settings whenever my modems IP address changes

Ultimate Member
    If your assigning staic IP's, then be sure to disable the Router acting as a DHCP server

--Jakk

i will give it a try, thanx jakk

didn't work **** router

is PPPoE just for DSL?

ive been talking to my cousin and he knows this stuff and he says its nothing on my end thats the problem its probably something to do with my ISP

thanks for the help neways

Have you tried connecting directly to the modem? this would tell you if it was your ISP/modem and take the router out of the equation.

It's probably the router not renewing its DHCP lease automagically.

Anyway, test it that way.

If it disconnects at 3AM and you know this, it could be the file sharing program you are running. Does it happen when it's not on?

I sorta doubt it's the ISP.

when i'm playing online (AA) it dies and the connection timer goes back to zero

if i use DMZ then it just picks back up after about 10 seconds

i think it could be my router blocking my modem from an attack and just disconnecting the modem itself or it might be lag...

i would turn on multiple DMZ but i can't get it to work

i've tried loads of different things such as wildcards and just 0.0.0.0-255.255.255.255 but that does work it just jumps me with:

Input 'IP Address Range' field with error format.
    wildcharacters have worked before on port forwarding but not for this, ive looked behind the HTML code but there is no HREF behind the add buttons, it works by running applications through a CGI

Originally posted by Bigjakkstaffa
    If your assigning staic IP's, then be sure to disable the Router acting as a DHCP server

--Jakk
    one of the first things i tried, i still use some computers that have different IPs on other networks so i can't turn it off even though i could assign them static IPs off their MACs but see if i'm going to do that... there lease time is 999 days, 23 hours and 59 minutes so my DHCP lease expires in 2007
    Last edited by bob1787; 02-26-2005 at 08:10 PM.

Dude...4 and a 1/2 months later....hope it didn't take that long to finger it out...

nah it still ain't figured out

i was posting to see if anyone knew how to make multi-DMZ work