Thread: pagefile on old hd

pagefile on old hd

hey all. i just had a thought.

so currently, i have two 80gig HD's in a RAID setup striping mode. the speed is great, it totally blows away my old single 60gig. anyways, considering i went all out with this system and put 2 gigs of ram in my machine, would it make sense to use one of the extra ide ports and attach an old 10 gig drive strictly for a pagefile in windows or would this actually slow the machine down? the RAID setup is using the SATA ports so i actually have an ide port left over. any ideas? thanks to all in advance.

Ultimate Member
    As long as the IDE HDD is of a decent speed (i.e. 7200RPM) and it's sitting aroudn doing nothing, then i cant see that it would hurt.

That said, given the reduced speed of a single IDE drive and the fact the pagefile is now fairly redundant as a source of "performance tweaking" i cant see it being any faster (may even be slower) than just keeping the pagefile on the RAID array.

If i were you i would put the 10gb HDD to better use elswhere, maybe in another system, or even in that system as a file/backing store?

--Jakk

right, thanks for the advice

If you have not already done so, you may want to think about a backup routine. RAID 0 is extremely risky if you do not have a backup routine in place.

Your HDD’s are more likely to fail under RAID 0 too due to excessive use, especially if you are non-SCSI.

if that's an old drive may be running 5400 with a small cache - check that.....