Thread: At WinXP Login it Logs off and goes back to login screen.

At WinXP Login it Logs off and goes back to login screen.

Hello All,

I have a weird problem on a friends PC. After you click on the name at the login screen it goes into Windows for a sec then
    logs off again and brings you back to the login screen.

It does the same thing when Im Safe Mode also.

Any ideas how to correct this? Without a format and reinstall.

Thanks

Sounds like the account is corrupted. Log on in Safe Mode, but use the Administrator account. Once in, delete the corrupted one and recreate it. Your friend can then copy all of his profile data to the new profile folder in Documents and Settings and delete the old one.

Been there.
    MS MCP, MCSE

Similar problem with logging in.

okay similar problem here...recently i installed my friend's dvd x burning software. it asked to reboot so i did...HERE'S THE PROBLEM: now, when i go to the "log-in" screen...i sign in as usual then it loads my perferences then all of a sudden...it switches like it's logging off and saves my preferences and back to log-in screen.
    so i can't log in as administer or user even in safe mode. so i can't get into my desktop at all. i can get to the BIOS but there is nothing about a "virus on/off" check? my cpu is a DELL DIMENSION 8200, bios version AO4. P4 1.8 running on windows XP platform. well, that's really all i can tell you...can anyone advise me??? thank you so much.

ringo.

Use System Restore and use it fast. Otherwise, you will have to reinstall XP.
    MS MCP, MCSE

continuation of login screen logging out!

Re: login screen loggin off

quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ringo906 wrote on 09-15-2004 08:57 PM:
    thx you for the prompt reply...it has been like 2 days since this has happened and i have turned my computer on and off more than a dozen times to try to save it. how can i system restore if can i can't get into windows? i can't log in....please forgive me as i'm not totally computer savvy. so if i can't system restore then how do i reinstall windows xp....i don't know how to get it to boot from the cd drive? thank you again bill.

ringo.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I've had this happen to me and I had to reinstall. If the PC logs off so fast that you can't do anything, there's nothing that you *can* do. The profile you were using is corrupt and unusable. Since most people only have 1 profile, you ca't log in as someone else and ecreate your profile - unless you can get in via Safe Mode.

!------------------------------------------------------------------

okay so here we are. can't log in. can't "log in" insafe mode. must reinstall windows xp. now, i have the windows reinstall cd here in drive. went to bios to change boot sequence... to run cd drive first. however, on bootup it just says something like "strike F1 to retry reboot, F2 for setup utility".....

SO MY QUESTIONS LIES HERE: "how do i reinstall windows XP if i can't access the cd drive?" one time i was able to get to a DOS prompt (i forget how) and i first changed to the cd drive followed by typing in "dir". it then listed all the items on cd but wouldn't let me run "setup"!!!! ARGHHHHHHHH....if i have to format? how do i do that too....hahahahahaha, god, i'm desperate

thanks ringo

How old is this motherboard? Any board newer than about 5 years can boot from CD. Normally, you get a prompt that says "Press any key to boot from CD...". If you can't get that to work, you will need to make the 6 floppies:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&i...p+floppy+setup

It's the first two - Home and Pro. Choose yours.
    MS MCP, MCSE

A Dell DImension 8200 has the ability to setup a boot order. I think by default it is A, IDE, CD ROM. You can change this order in the BIOS or press F12 when you boot to get a boot menu. Press it on the Dell logo screen. Choose CD-ROM.

I had this exact problem when I tried to change the boot volume from E to C. I would guess that the DVD software messed up the Mountable Volumes in the Registry causing the system to do this.
    -- Mathias

regarding boot sequence

first of all, thank you guys for helping out.

so here we go... i changed my boot sequence as you recommended to run the cd drive first: i then place my "dell windows xp reinstall cd" in the cd drive. then computer starts, loads up, then goes black screen saying "strike F1 to retry reboot, F2 for setup utility".....
    what the heck? why won't it read the god forsaken CD??? please advise? i want to throw my dell out the window already?

thanks fellas.
    ringo.

Did you try pressing F12 to get a boot menu and manually selecting CD ROM boot????

It seems like your BIOS settings may not have saved when you exited.

If the system has 2 CD Drives, try the other drive. The CD Boot will only work from one CD Drive.
    -- Mathias

Don't Format!!!

I have seen this lately on 3 different machines where Iwork. There is a fix through the recovery console. However, I am also searching for which exact file has to be replaced. Bear with me as Ifind the file. But the jist of the fix is to replace a file under recovery console, and then problem goes away. I have done it once before, but have since lost the notes I had made. *Sigh*.

But like I said, there is a fix... I will find it.
    Staff of Google: + 99 to Lore

As I remember.. it gets clearer.

Problem is that the registry has been moded to call for a file, that was probably removed in a spyware search. as that file is either damaged, or gone, etc. we have torename the correct file to this file name to get the XP station to login correctly. I am currently searching for that info. But by using recovery console, or WinPE , etc. we can rename thefile to that file name, and thus fix the problem, to log in so we can fix the root problem in the registry.

Any of this spark a memory with our forum readers? Off to search again.

Excerpt from Lavasoft Knowledge Base Article 04060901.

SYMPTOM:
    After removing wsaupdater.exe from BlazeFind using Ad-aware 6 Build 181 and reference file 01R314 02.06.2004, the ability to log on to the system may be compromised.

CAUSE:
    This file edits an area of the registry, and Ad-aware 6 Build 181 is unable to correct this registry change. The registry item changed is

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

Value: Userinit

Data: %system32%\wsaupdater.exe

%system32% represents the path to the System32 folder. For example, if the path is C:\Windows\System32, then the data would be

C:\Windows\System32\wsaupdater.exe

Instead of wsaupdater.exe, the data should contain userinit.exe,. Using the example above, the data would be

C:\Windows\System32\userinit.exe,
    Note the comma following the file path information.

Direct link from Dux Computer Digest didn't work. so search google for the Lavasoft Article. Hope I gave all credit for their work.

We fixed it one machine by copying the file required (a known good copy of userinit.exe) to wsaupdater.exe with the recovery console. At that point you should be able to login and fix the entries in the reg the article references.

Hope this helps.

Try this it worked for the 2 systems that were messed up at a friends place

1. Boot using your winxp cd.
    2. Enter recovery console.
    3. at the command prompt go to
    C:/windows/system32
    4. next type:
    copy userinit.exe wsaupdater.exe
    5. exit and reboot normally. You should now be able to logon. But you're not done yet!
    6. run regedit
    7. find the Userinit key in:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\Cu rrentVersion\Winlogon\
    8. modify the entry:
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\wsaupdater.exe
    so that it reads:
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\userinit.exe