Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Seti @ Home 2 has gone live!

Is there a good addon similar to seti hide?

Is it slow or what at giving credit!!! 3 of my machines have so far been given credit but others which were registered as far back as 28th June still have none and they have been returning wu's since then.
    Just hope they haven't been lost in all these server down times. While I'm on the topic of credit, I think it is a bit mean how if the boinc server doesn't receive 3 results from a wu then you don't receive any credit for that wu.
    It appears that there is a deadline for returning a wu result, so does this mean if you go away on holiday and turn your PC off, then when you return all your stored wu's won't count as you may have missed the deadline.

As it stands at the moment I still much prefer the old seti, but maybe boinc might improve to win my vote.

Originally posted by JSCTech
    Is it slow or what at giving credit!!! 3 of my machines have so far been given credit but others which were registered as far back as 28th June still have none and they have been returning wu's since then.
    Just hope they haven't been lost in all these server down times. While I'm on the topic of credit, I think it is a bit mean how if the boinc server doesn't receive 3 results from a wu then you don't receive any credit for that wu.
    It appears that there is a deadline for returning a wu result, so does this mean if you go away on holiday and turn your PC off, then when you return all your stored wu's won't count as you may have missed the deadline.

As it stands at the moment I still much prefer the old seti, but maybe boinc might improve to win my vote.

The speed of granted credit relies on several variables.

1- How quick are the other hosts the WU has been sent to?

2- How quick these other hosts will report the results. Will they do it manually, or let the scheduler pick them up automatically? If they go the automatic route, this can be accomplished two ways. It will either grab them the next time the host asks for more work, or around 24hours before the WUs deadline. If the host has a large cache, it could be a week or two before it asks for more work. If BOINC comes up against the deadline, this can also be two weeks away.

3- Has any host given the WU reset or detached, thus "flushing" the WU? If a WU has been "thrown out", the scheduler will wait until the deadline expires before adding it to the "pool" of WUs to be sent out again. This could take two weeks for the deadline, then more time depending on how many WUs are in the pool. Then we are back to numbers 1 and 2. (this goes for expired wu's also)

And finally,
    4- How quick the validator processes the WU. Currently, there is a serious backlog the validator is chewing through.

http://setiweb.ssl.berkeley.edu/foru...hp?id=983#4797
    Last edited by Scavenger7; 07-08-2004 at 04:42 AM.

Originally posted by JSCTech

The deadline is set normally at 2 weeks from the date you downloaded the WU. Once the deadline is past, the processing of WU's will not generate any credits.

If you know your going on a vacation, you should edit your pref's to only dl maybe 1 day worth of work a couple of day before you leave. (depending on machines speed)
    so you won't have too many expired wu's when you shut down.

News

July 8, 2004
    We have moved the scheduling server to another machine in order to free up CPU and memory for the DB server. Active clients will fail 10 times to connect to the old scheduling server and then will self correct by contacting the master URL. To force the correction right away, simply detach and then (re)attach the project.

[edit]

Detaching & reattaching to the Project has got to be the Stupidest Advice I have ever heard of. What about all the Wu's that will be dumped when people take this advice and then everybody's sitting around for the next 2 weeks wondering why they can't get no Wu's Verified. It will be because of this advice, thats why...

I suggest you just manually update your PC or PC,s, thats what I did and it wasn't that big of a deal, I have a lot of WU's Cached and just didn't feel like dumping them so they would have to be reissued in 2 weeks ...
    Last edited by Scavenger7; 07-08-2004 at 06:32 PM.

Anouther Wu Shortage!?

July 8, 2004
    Well since yesterday evening, PDT, we have handed out over 600,000 results to be worked on. Thats a six fold increase in overall system performance from our previous best. Now it looks as though we'll have a spotty workunit shortage again as we'll have to bring additional splitters online to keep up with demand. It is 8:50pm PDT and we have about 30,000 results in the queue, the rate we are passing them out is about 1,000 every 10 minutes. Currently the splitters churn out workunits at 4 per minute which creates 12 results per minute.

----

If this keeps up they may have to end classic early just to keep up with the demand..

I hope they end BOINC instead.

Mod w/ an attitude Sterling_Aug's Avatar
    Why can't I get any BIONC WU's?

It will never connect.

I can't be that stoopid! LOL

You can't connect at all? I've been able to connect and if not I get a message that the "project is down", but the case lately has been:

"SETI@home - 2004-07-19 17:30:45 - Message from server: No work available"

After lotsa downtime (been too busy to worry about it), I'm finally back on broadband. Then my main rig sat for days with no WUs getting that 'No work available' carp... just now it DLd twenty WUs and filled up the cache!

July 19, 2004
    We have brought up an additional transitioner to try and cut through the backlog we have accrued. Since the beginning of the project we have already processed 2.7 million results. For comparison, the beta project had only processed 6 million through the whole life of that project to date.

July 19, 2004
    Sometime between 5pm and 12am PDT, the splitters seem to have stopped producing new workunits. We have restarted the splitters and they are back to creating new workunits.

Until there is some work you might have trouble connecting..

Originally posted by genesound
    You can't connect at all? I've been able to connect and if not I get a message that the "project is down", but the case lately has been:

"SETI@home - 2004-07-19 17:30:45 - Message from server: No work available"

After lotsa downtime (been too busy to worry about it), I'm finally back on broadband. Then my main rig sat for days with no WUs getting that 'No work available' carp... just now it DLd twenty WUs and filled up the cache!

I still have a few Down with no work.. maybe i will get some today..

Originally posted by Scavenger7
    I still have a few Down with no work.. maybe i will get some today..
    I guess it's just random how they go out... Laptop has always had a few, but never full, but then it's not always connected. gene-nforce2 sat empty for days... go figgr