Thread: Windows 2000 Server problems

Windows 2000 Server problems

I am trying to set the boot files in a Win2K Server right..Each time I start it, it says the NTOSKRNL.exe is corrupted..I need to get past this to salvage valuable data from this server...It was administered by someone else, and I am not sure what he messed up...Need help urgently please.....

Thanks

what you need to do is use the win2000 server cd and boot fro m it and use the recovery console to copy a new NTOSKRNL.exe to the system32 directory. you can get a new NTOSKRNL.exe from either the i386 directory or the last service pack that was installed. you need to expand it by c:\expand NTOSKRNL.ex_ c:\winnt\system32

I tried that..But it still does the same..I tried extracting the file from service pack file, but it still poses the same problems...
    Need help please

what is the exact error message? is there a stop error code? are you sure that the hdd is good?

There is no post error code....The HDD is good..It is recognized in the BIOS..It just does not boot up at all..The only message I get is that the file ntoskrnl.exe is corrupted.. I have tried extracting the file from the service packs, but even then I get the same message...Need help please...

you can try a repair install. just boot and continue like a new install. the win2k setup should detect the previous installation and ask if you want to repair it.

if this is a real server (not just the OS), then you should really have a backup. people have gotten fired for not having backups.

Windows 2000 Server

Well this server was handed over to me a few weeks ago..The previous admin did not have any backup...So, I got entrusted with the problem of fixing the machine. All I am interested is in getting it to boot, and load up so that I can take a backup and nuke the machine. I will try the repair install..I think I tried it already, but don't remember it..I will try it again and see what happens...
    Thanks..

the easiest thing to do then is take the hard drive out put in in another system and copy all the stuff you want . put back in old server and reinstall

If files are getting corrupted on a regular basis, there are two things you need to look at:

1. Virus contamination

2. Bad RAM

www.memtest86.com
    MS MCP, MCSE

Well here is the exact error message that I get as soon as I boot the system -
    invalid BOOT.INI file
    Booting from C:\winnt\

Then the screen is cleared and I get this message -
    Windows 2000 could not start because of the following file is missing or corrupt:
    <windows 2000 root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
    Please re-install a copy of the above file...

I have tried re-installing the ntoskrnl.exe file. I even went to recovery console and tried the FIXBOOT command. It said it repaired it..But when I restart the machine, I get the same error messages.

Can somebody please help...All I need is to get the machine booted up normally and make a backup...

Originally posted by Midknyte
    you can try a repair install. just boot and continue like a new install. the win2k setup should detect the previous installation and ask if you want to repair it.

if this is a real server (not just the OS), then you should really have a backup. people have gotten fired for not having backups.
    did you try a repair install? are you sure the hdd is good to begin with?

Well I tried re-installing also...It said the files will be overwritten...I do not want to lose existing data...It never asked me to repair the previous installation..Or maybe I am doing something wrong..

you still haven't figured it out after 2 weeks?

if a repair install didn't find the previous installation, you're pretty much out of options.

sounds like it's time to get another drive, install win2k on that and then copy the data over. if you don't have backups, then that's about all you can do.

you could also try booting to something like knoppix to see if you can get data off.
    http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html