Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe Problem! EMERGENCY!

ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe Problem! EMERGENCY!

New to the board, however...
    Just bought an ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe mobo, AMD Athlon XP 3000+ (2.1GHz), and 512MB PC3200 DDR Ram... installed it in an ATX Case with 400w ps, my old CDR Drive, and 2 Maxtor 40gb HD's that I used on the old system (Some Abit board, Athlon 1.2, 128mb Ram). The only piece of hardward addon that I swapped was teh ATI Radeon 7000 (old but works good still -- not into gaming) AGP card... everything else is built into the motherbaord.

The 2 hard drives are not SATA, just ATA/66 I think -- Maybe even ATA100 ... What this thing is doing now is it will turn on and not even make it to POST -- It will be on for about 2.2 seconds, the time in which the CPU fan and PS fans kick on but then nothing happens, it just dies... I cannot find out why, and ASUS Tech Supt is NOT the best as I've discovered (never returned teh call 2 days ago)... Just kinda wondering if anyoen can throw me a bone here..

Ive tried changing positions of the Ram, using diff. video card, using only one of the HD"s, clearing CMOS, diff. power supply... nothing is working, PLEASE HELP!...

Steve

Make sure the HSF is plugged into the correct fan header & is sending an RPM signal to the MB.

If your upgrading from a old MB, make sure you dont have extra
    standoffs where you dont have holes on the new MB. Yeah I did
    that once. Short!

ahhhhhhhhhhhh.... Ill try that when I get home -- goin to pickup a shipment of fish now... Ill post here and let you all know! THANKS!

STeve

Okay.. Im clueless. I took it all out and re-installed everything -- mobo, cards, etc etc. bought a new HD for it and all is well however...

After about 3-4 minutes, the pc shuts itself down. if you turn it back on it will run for 30 seconds then shut itself down. I restored CMOS defaults, and same thing. Watched the hardware monitor in the bios and it seems that every time the CPU temp hits 138-140 degress, the thing shuts down. This could be doing this becuase the cpu temp to shut down teh pc is around there -- I dont know. It could be some wierd coincidence.. however... I cannot figure this out. I have a heatsink and fan on teh processor (AMD Athlon XP 3000+) that CompUSA recommended for it, and ahve no sides on teh case so the heat inside the case is only 69 degrees... so I dont see why the cpu is getting so hot... Any possibilities? I did not use teh white thermal paste or a plastic shim on teh CPU as they (compUSA) said not to on that specific processor... I dont think that would ahve anything to do with it overheating... would it??

Im at my witts end (which arent very 'long' anyhow lol) with this thing... Any info/advice would be great as ASUS has STILL not called me back...

Steve

Have you checked the manufacturer's instructions about whether or not you should use thermo compound. I have never heard of a cpu now days not requiring the use of thermo compound or a thermo pad.

I think you might have encountered an Idiot at Compusa. However, I could be wrong. I would check the manufacturer's installation instructions and follow them. Some of the other members will probably post on the thermo compound with their opinion but it doesn't sound right to me.

Also I had a similiar problem but my problem was my PS was too low for the new hardware. Although I see you have a 400W PS check to see if the PS not being stressed. If you dont have a stronger replacement PS try disconnecting power to the data HD drive and Floppy etc. Then see if the system boots.

My PS shut down, you say yours died but is the PS still on? Is it just the MB not working, Or there is no power to the system?

As stated it can also be heat & the cpu if you can when the system does boot quickly go into the Bios and read the CPU temp before it shuts down!
    Last edited by Rosado; 05-17-2004 at 01:30 PM.

Okay just talked to Computer Brain INC who I bought it all from... they said that they knew that AMD Processors 3000+ 3200+ and up have overheating problems and they all shut down @ 140 degrees ferenheit... he said that there was no fan on the market that can keep these CPU's cool enough to stay in a decent operating range. I find that hard to believe. I read up on this forum about some new fan they have (dont remember the name right now) that is supposed to work great... What are my other cooling options?? Shoudl I jsut put a floor fan on the thing? LOL... I know there are such things as watercoolers but Im not that brave... What should I do??

Vantec AeroFlow... Any good??

Was you able to find out anything on the manufacturer's web site? AMD has installation procedures on their web site.

Thats BS its true they are hot but I have the same MB you got. and I am using it with no problems now lowest I got was 49C and I go as high as 62C with no problems. One issue is the stock heatsink and fan is **** but still should be able to run.

The system should work Hot or not it should not be shutting down. Unless its extreme heat like a bad heatsink install.

I have a new in the package un-opened Vantec AeroFlow that I purchase but not using cause I had my vendor install new heatsink/fan when they had my MB. If your interested I will save ya some money on that.

Add some thermal paste (artic silver works great) on the CPU and a better Heatsink. I bet that will fix your problems. I had similar problems with an older Athlon CPU and those solutions did the trick.

ill try some paste with the heat sink/fan i bought -- just called them they said the fan will more than do the job -- so hoping they are right... I asked about a plastic CPU shim they said you dont need one, just blob the white stuff in teh middle of the cpu and voila...

i have the same mb but not the deluxe,and the same processor..i used thermial paste on mine and also there is a setting in the bios the allows the setting of the cpu fan..go in there and set it to the max..i have never had temp problems what so ever so it think the paste and this fan setting should do the trick...also the comment about no fan being able to keep the cpu cool is crazy..you must be talking to someone who dosent know anything..im not the worlds smartest pc person but even i know that isnt true...the mb you have is rock solid as is the cpu..asus mb's are all i use