Thread: kinda weird. what was wrong?

kinda weird. what was wrong?

mobo: MSI 865PE Neo-2pfs Platinum
    mem: 2x256 PC3700 Kingston HyperX @ PC3200 ; by spd enabled, auto fsb setting (400)
    cpu: P4 2.8C HT enabled
    hdd: WD 800jb pata
    burner: Lite-On 52x32x52
    case: Aspire X Dreamer II
    video: Sapphire Radeon 9800pro oem 128M

So we finished playing a few rounds of UT04 demo. I decided to put the thing in Sleep(?) mode. When I hit the sleep key the computer shut off. Then it tried turning itself on again. It tried reading a game CD in the drive (the light flashed 5 times), then read the hdd once. Then it turned itself off, started back up and repeated the exact same thing as above. Over and over.

I thought it may be memory related, so I pulled out one of the DIMMs. When I did this it started up and I was able to get to the BIOS. I replaced the one DIMM in the same slot and it did the above restart-shut-off-restart procedure. I moved my dual channel DIMMs to the other slots, and now it works fine. At least I hope.

So wtf happened here? Is my mobo going bad? Was it just a fluke of the DIMMs working their way loose? Ideas please. Thx.

ß
    "all animals are equal but some animals are more equal than others".
    George Orwell

Try checking where your power button plugs into the mobo and make sure you have all those settings correct. You can get a guide from MSI site I believe and the little plugs should be marked. Then I would make sure the bios is updated.

Stu

I'll look into updating my BIOS. The power plugs haven't changed since February when I built it, but I'll replug them anyway.
    "all animals are equal but some animals are more equal than others".
    George Orwell

you'd be surprised sometime how easily RAM gets dislodged, my guess is that was your problem - I know someone with a low profile Dell who has to reseat his RAM at least once a week.....