Thread: AST Bravo 5200 power problem

AST Bravo 5200 power problem

Working on a donated AST Bravo MS 5200 (P200, 160MB, 10GHB, Win98). When I put in on the bench, it did not start up at all. Took the case off (and a nasty sort of case it is), reseated everything, pushed the power button (with case still off) and up it came!!! (It did have a message that the "case has been opened".) Put the case back on, and started it up just fine a couple of times. Needed to check on the memory configuration so started to take the cover off (1st step being loosen a thumbscrew in the back and slid the bottom panel back a bit so the rest of the case can be puled off.) Just as soon as the bottom panel started to slide the computer stopped. Nothing makes it go - with case on or off. Tried another (known good) power supply and same thing. I CANNOT find any switches (like a case switch) that might have been tripped. Suggestions???
    FijiJohn

Is it an AT case or ATX? Does the power button "click".

In AT cases, the power supply is turned on directly and then it turns on the PC.
    MS MCP, MCSE

I had an old Dell that gave me trouble like that. The riser card would get dislodged alittle when I removed the case cover.

It's an ATX and I still cannot tell how the BIOS sees a "chassis intrusion" (i.e., where the switch hides). However, I discovered that if I removed the ISA modem card that the computer WORKS again! (I have not tried it yet with the case back on but right now it starts up every time.) If I followed my own advice about removing ALL cards when troubleshooting odd problems I would have saved all of us some effort.
    FijiJohn