Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Setting the bios

Setting the bios

Hi, I have an Abit kg7 lite board, AMD 1800xp athlon, Flower cooler, windows xp, 512mb PC100 ddr, 80gb hd...etc etc...

Ill try and explain this the best i can, If i used the default settings in bios it is set at:
    CPU 1150 (100) Default
    Multiplier x11.5
    Cpu FSB Bus 100
    FSB Rate cpu: (sdram pci) 3:3:1 Default again

The Cpu is suppose to run at 1.533mhz but there is no setting in the bios for this speed, Only a user defined which then lets you set ur own settings such as:
    cpu : User defined
    Multiplier 11.5
    Cpu FSB bus 133
    FSB Rate 4:4:1
    Total = 1.533mhz

But if i choose my own setting my pc freezes, ive even changed the FSB down to 3:3:1 (default) and still the same result.

Also on defaults setting the CPU temps are about 40c but when changed this the other nite it was about 48-51c its never been that high before.

Any ideas on what i can do or try next, It used to run fine for the last 2yrs at user defined settings

Thanks for your help

Mike

Mod w/ an attitude Sterling_Aug's Avatar
    Do you have the latest BIOS version installed?

http://www.abit-usa.com/downloads/bi...ies=1&model=29

Re: Setting the bios

Originally posted by rainman202
    Hi, I have an Abit kg7 lite board, AMD 1800xp athlon, Flower cooler, windows xp, 512mb PC100 ddr
    There's no such thing as PC100 DDR. Do you mean PC2100?
    MS MCP, MCSE

No i dont have the latest bios installed... ive looked at it and thought it sounded a little bit to much over my head.

Or is that flashing the bios r they the same thing ?

Mike

Ps: Ill check out that link thanks

BTW : well spotted bipolarBill i do have PC2100 (crucial)

Wow: Ive just been to the Abit web site and ive got to say there is noway could i do something like that... flashing the bios and an update, Im affraid something would go wrong and then id screw up my board.

Im just a Home PC user

Thanks anyway
    Last edited by rainman202; 04-25-2004 at 11:35 AM.

Yes - you need to update (flash) your BIOS. It's not that hard.
    MS MCP, MCSE

Mod w/ an attitude Sterling_Aug's Avatar
    A flash BIOS update takes less than 1 minute.

Do it if you want the system to work properly.

Print out the instructions and follow along while you do it.

OK , Ive looked at the instructions and read up on it.. but am a little stuck. I downloaded the bios update for my abit kg7 lite board.. Opened the file that was then on my desktop and some other files opened up like they named :awdflash.exe abitfae.bat,runme.bat,adwareflash.exe. and said something like that all those files had been installed.

It then goes on to say make a start up disk.. which i have done under windows xp and copy the files over to this disk! This is where im gettin little big confused .. do i then copy the other files on my desktop to the floppy disk ( this is wat ive done anyway)

Its says then afer booting from the floppy: flash the bios is pure dos mode ( what does that mean)

Thanks Mike

Make the boot floppy first. Right-click the floppy drive and select Format. Next, "Create MS-DOS startup disk". When done, you copy those files to the floppy and then restart. When you get a DOS prompt, type RUNME and follow the prompts.
    MS MCP, MCSE

BipolarBill, I did what you said and restarted >at the dos prompt typed in RUNME followed promps and got to the end and said this

No Kg7_4j.BIN file or you have not exercuted the .EXE File to a .BIN file yet Flash failure

So i then tryed it this way at the dos prompt (after reboot)
    A:\> awdflash BD72_AJ.BIN /py/sn/cd/cp/cc/cks/R
    followed the instructions and finally got this message...

Flash memory writer v.7 97D, Award sofware
    For 761-686B-6A6S6A1AC-4 DATE :08/10/2001
    Flash Type -PM27 F002T /5V
    File name to program: bd72_aj.Bin
    Error message: Source file not found!

A:\>

and thats as far as i have got

Thanks again Mike

Well ive been to this link : :http://fae.abit.com.tw/eng/download/index.htm

And from what i can read and make out it says that there is No flash bios update for my abit kg7 lite board at the moment.

So i dont no if anybody can confirm this for me, just incase i have read it wrong or missed something.

Thanks alot

Mike

You can check the date of your BIOS by pressing the Pause key during POST.

Somewhee in the package you downloaded (may be zipped) is the BIN file mentioned. You need to copy that to the root of the floppy.
    MS MCP, MCSE

I didnt notice any zip file and it doesnt say about a zip file either i just downloaded the self extracting file. and double clicked on it like it said and about 4 other files all came up in a seperate window awdflash.bat, runme.bat,awdflash.exe,abitfae.bat.

And all of those files also opened on the desktop.

To be honest i dont really have a clue what im doin and i wouldnt now how to copy the zip file either over to the root of the floppy

Thanks very much for you help bipolarBill.

Mike

Put the file kg7ds.exe in it's own folder (like C:\Abit). Go to that folder and double-click the kg7ds.exe file. There will be 5 files extracted when you do that; ABITFAE.BAT, AWDFLASH.EXE, KG7_DS.BIN, KG7_DS.TXT, RUNME.BAT

If you are running FAT32 file system...

Put your boot disk in and re-start the computer. At the A:\> prompt type C: > hit enter. At the C:\> prompt type CD C:\Abit > hit enter. At the C:\Abit> prompt type RUNME > hit enter. Follow the prompts to update your BIOS.

If you are running NTFS...

Copy the 5 files that you extracted to an empty floppy disk. Put in your Boot disk floppy and re-start your computer. At the A:\> prompt, remove the boot disk adn put in the floppy with the 5 files. Type RUNME and follow the prompts.

Good luck!

Thanks Direct1 for the easy to understand help

I did as u said and found the files need after my pc rebooted with the start up disk, and it went through flashing the bios and came to the end and said that the bios was NOT Flashed.

So my guess is that there is no newer bios update for my abit kg7 lite board at this time.

Thanks Everybody for your help

Mike

Ps: Maybe when there is a newer bios update out, i will flash the bios then, And hopefully this will fix my original problem that im getting of my computer freezin.

Also i downloaded the abit new easy bios flash updater which will automatically update ur bios for you with one easy click
    Even i couldnt get that wrong lol.

said that the bios was NOT Flashed.
    That does not mean it is not a newer BIOS, it just means it was un-successful at over-writting it. Did you ever figure out what BIOS version you have already? Instructions are on Abit's web site on how to check.

Good luck!