Thread: old **** building pc need help

Hybrid View

old **** building pc need help

ok heres my life in a box or a few words, i have a hp pc right now no agp slot and it a duron 1.3 ghz and about 1gig ram with a navida fx 5200.

i am wanting to build a pc for the first time since my a+ calss is over but i am wondering what system to build i am partial to amd chip's and i know i need a new vid card. i was looking on tiger direct at some bundles they had put togeather and amhaving trouble deciding which one to get i dont have alot of money to spend will some body tell me which one they think is the best deal or mabey where i can get a great deal ?? here are the links

1.http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...SRCCODE=WEM671

2.http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...Tab=2&NoMapp=0

this is my delima i am not for sure which mobo to go with on has a bigger processor but not as much ram and the other has a lesser processor and more ram and one has the n chipset and one does not .

i am not set on one of these but keep in mind i still have to buy my os and all i have is about 550.00 to do this in please let me know which one is better or where else i can look for these deals thanks

I'd get neither

Welcome to SysOpt!

Your first link -- http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...SRCCODE=WEM671 -- is one heck of a deal. The only things I do not like about it is the RAM and PSU. You cannot buy all those parts separately for $330 (Plus approx. $27 S/H).

If you get that system, buy this RAM for it...

Crucial 184 Pin 256MB DDR PC-3200 - OEM = $61 USD shipped.

Or better yet...

Crucial 184 Pin 512MB DDR PC-3200 - OEM = $118 USD shipped.

Sell the RAM that comes with the system. The reason is because the RAM with the system runs at 133MHz (PC2100) but your processor runs at 166MHz. The RAM I like can run at 200MHz with no problems so you have room to over-clock if you wish or just run it at 166...

The PSU (Power Supply) that come with it is not a name brand. It may be alright but I would look to buy a nice 400w or higher Antec, Fortron, Enermax, or Sparkle PSU when money is available.

Good luck!
    Last edited by Direct1; 04-19-2004 at 04:01 AM.

yeah it was the unnamed ram that put me off.

ram

i was gonna get different ram anyway i was going forthe fastest speed the board will supply and as far as the psu goes i am not for sure about that all i know if the wattage is right then i should be ok the processor is nt as fast as i was wanting but i can get a different one later when i recover from this purchase. i was thinking of going a different way though i was told to look at this dfi lan party board which seems to be a good board but really theres not difference in the clock speed it will go up to 400mhz
    all these choices i am confused i just want a good machine to run my games on and not have to worry about preformance probs which i am seeing now with this hp i have i mean anything has to be better thans what i have now. But still iwant to be set for a whilenot turn right around and have to do it all over again in 6 mos well besides the processor!! thanks for the info if that machine will do me right then thats what i am going with !! unless i see something better

There are better, faster systems than the first one you posted but, not for the money. If you're on a tight budget, that is a good buy. Just upgrade the RAM as I said and you would have a nice system that could run faster than advertised (if you OC it).

Good luck!

i dont like over clocking it but thanks for the help guys i am looking on new egg for the same things but i need a good case anybody have any thing on this ??

Just build what works for and for the money

I would recommond for good deals go to frys store

or go to

www.outpost.com

Originally posted by prnl71
    i need a good case anybody have any thing on this ??
    Here is the best case IMO and it comes with an ANTEC PSU so you can keep that
    P4 3.0Ghz
    512 DDR
    80 Gig
    GeFource Fx 5900
    Audigy 2 Platinum
    Creative 6.1 6600

Whats not to love