Heres my system,

Epox EP-8RDA+
    AthlonXP 2500+
    1GB Corsair 3200
    Radeon9800
    160GB seagate cudda
    380watt antec psu
    antec sonata

Ok, I just got this ram the other day from newegg. I boot up perfect @ the 400mhz ddr. So I reinstall windows (also got the new hd), and get everything running then I think to myself. You know you have a barton and a mobo that can both oc like a monkey on crack. Why don't you actually do it. So I'm all like "ok self lets do it".

So long story short I oc the cpu up to 12.5x166 for 2090 mhz or about a 2900+ speed. This got me up a few hundred 3dmarks so I'm all w00t n stuff, but my cpu is idling @ 47C/116F @ 12x166 and whenever I pop it to 13x166 the pc starts but shows it running at 1100mhz which means something went wrong. So anyway I oc my 9800 to where I'd like it and I'm just shy of my 5000 3dmark2k3 score that I want. I think I benchied like 4974 or something. So that little bump would make my cpu boost me over the hump. Anythoughts? I haven't bumped the voltage up yet, it just didn't seem like that was the reason at the time...though now I type this whole thing out, that sounds most reasonable.

You're OC'ing it wrong. You should set the multiplier to 11 and the FSB to 200. That'll give you 3200+ speeds -- 2200MHz. Lower multiplier and higher FSB = faster computer. Should be lower temps too. Did you use a thermal pad or thermal paste between the HS and CPU?

Good luck!

Ultimate Member
    The multipliers above 12.5 are locked

Banned
    lol... your computer should do 5300p default on everything. and @ OC all smth 6500p!
    3DMark01 should be something like 21000.
    thats 9800 scores...

Ehh even I with my Barton2500 and R9700 nonpro do 6100p in 3DMark03 and 20 019 smth in 3DMark01
    Soe there is smth wrong with your comp... maybe u have Fsaa on?

Direct1 - Roger that, I'll do it that way then, I've been out of oc'ing for a few years so I'm a bit rusty I was trying the multipliers just to see what the chip could do.

edit: Oh and its AS3 Thermal paste on an Igloo silent breeze

RamonGTP - ahh, all becomes clear Thanks, I was looking @ like the 3000+'s settings and I think it was 13x166 or sometin like that and so I was just going for that.

PlatoonSgtElias - Yeah, its kinda strange that it does this. I was expecting a lot more when I built the pc but when my friend built a better pc with a 9800pro, 1gb mem, and a 2600+ I figured hmm the reviewers must be doing something different then me in 3dmark. If my 9800 had the bios of a 9800 pro but was running @ the 9800's speeds would this cause lower scores? When I got the card it looked used though the site had said nothing about it being used but it worked fine and was for a good price. But its ALWAYS been detected as a 9800 pro in windows though it has the 9800 clock speeds. I dunno what to make of it, I bought it from MWave btw.

So I guess I'll be back in a few moments with some more results
    Last edited by Bob The Great; 04-17-2004 at 07:25 PM.

about AA being on, I turned down the graphics settings for GL and D3D one notch from the middle and that with a video oc got me to 5062, but that seems like some small gains.

Any ideas on whats causing the preformance lag? Fresh install of win, a few progs open including norton IS 2003 but thats taking up a negliglbe amount of cpu time.

edit: oc'd to 10x200 and got a 5168 with my vid card oc'd as well. I'm usuing ATITool 0.0.19 as it will oc your vid card when you go into a 3dmode, and then lower the clocks back down or even below normal when in 2d (desktop) mode so it can cool.

also, one thing I noticed is I'm getting a strange noise through my speakers when the 3dmark2k3 demos change. As the screen fades out it makes a weird whining down noise and then stops and when it fades in it whines up. You have to have the speakers up pretty loud to hear it, but since the sound is onboard you think the fsb is causing this. I don't have spread specturm turned on, though because I havn't figured out how to change it (its blanked out in the bios).

Thanks a lot for answering my newbish questions
    Last edited by Bob The Great; 04-17-2004 at 07:58 PM.

Ultimate Member
    Originally posted by PlatoonSgtElias
    lol... your computer should do 5300p default on everything. and @ OC all smth 6500p!
    3DMark01 should be something like 21000.
    thats 9800 scores...

Ehh even I with my Barton2500 and R9700 nonpro do 6100p in 3DMark03 and 20 019 smth in 3DMark01
    Soe there is smth wrong with your comp... maybe u have Fsaa on?
    Either you've got a freak of a card/cpu, or you have certain details turned down such as texture prefrence, or mipmap detail level. I've got a 9800Pro and a 2500+@3200+ and get 17.5k in 3dmark01 and 6110 in 03

whew, glad my pcs not bork totally.

ok, update I went up to the 3200+ speeds 200x11 and windows wouldn't boot up so I knocked it back down to 200x10 (2800+). My current vcore is 1.65 so I'm thinking of nocking it up a notch and inducing a little more cooling that I've been putting off. Right now I only have 1 case fan, though my cooling inside is tottaly pimp. Its just really really well done, but most of my stuff like 9800 are air cooled, no fans just lots o surface area so I'm going to have a second 120mm fan that is placed on the hd rack and will blow across my vid card and push more air out the back 120mm. This will also make my case quite as my psu fan should then slow down a tad with less heat to deal with. Anywho so anyway I think yeah I'll nock the voltage up a tad (1.7 sound good, or less?, my mobo can do really teeny increments).

Thanks again for helping out a rusty oc'er

Ultimate Member
    Mine is running at 1.7vocre to be stable at 200x11.

You should be able to go to 1.75 vcore if needed. Not all systems can handle 200 FSB. Yours looks like it should but the key word is should.

Good luck!

tanks, yeah I think it can take it pretty easy. I just want to add the extra fan to make it run cooler, I've put a lot of work into this machine to make it super quite, super fast, and super cool. Its been working for at least two of those so far. Thanks for all the input everyone, I'll let you know how it turns out.

Oh btw it turns out AA was one for D3D. I'm not sure if 3dmark uses it or opengl, but anyway turned it off and got 100 some extra points in 2k3. Now I'm up to 5154, so thanks

Banned
    Mine is 24\7

230x10@1.625v
    or
    220x10@1.575v

100% stable.

nice!

an update, I raised the vcore to about 7.5 or so and windows would boot 11x200 but 3dmark crapped out quick no matter how much I was raising it so I did some research and my northbridge appears ot be overheating. So I installed a 120mm blowing over my agp and northbridge (from hd rack) and I haven't tried yet but its lowered cpu temps by 7f and it should help me oc my 9800 (modded with passive heatsink only) and it also blows right between my cpu and gpu which is this valley with my northbridge. Hopefully I can squeake out a 200x11. If not I'll be upgrading to a 2500+ mobile in about a day (traiding this for a 2600+ and selling that for the cost of the mobile ), so that should run at lower temps and with maybe a tad more cooling I should get my desired speed! :woot:

Ultimate Member
    Yeah, i've got an 8RDA+ and the NB does indeed get very hot when going near the 200fsb mark. I replaced the passive HS with a vantec iceburq HSF and its cool to the touch. Also keem in mind that if you do not have revision 2 of the board, the NB may be stable at 200mhz regardless of cooling. You may need to do the resistor mod to up the voltage to the NB. Its very possible that its your board and not the processor thats keeping you from reaching 11x200.

Even though I have a revision 1.1 board that does happen to work at 200fsb, I did the resistor mod just today incase I wanted to go higher. Stock voltage for the NB is 1.55 - 1.6 volts. A 1k ohm resistor gets you ~1.75 and a 680 ohm resistor gets you ~1.85.

The mod was easy enough to do without having to remove my board from the case, however I wouldn't necessarily recommend that as there were a few times I nearly melted parts that I got too close to.

I don't know this for sure, but I remember reading sometin about that and so I made sure to get the revision. Yeah I don't think its the cpu either now. I'm going to reboot right now and try 11x200 and see if the extra cooling really helped any.