Thread: Computer regularly resetting and freezing! Help me!

Computer regularly resetting and freezing! Help me!

Hi,

Lately I've been having some real major problems with my computer.

Normally during the first time I boot up my computer it works for around 5 mins and then either resets or freezes. After that I have a bit of trouble getting back into Windows but when I eventually get back into Windows the problem seems to stop, until I try to boot up my computer later on.

I've done virus checks, spybot checks, scandisk checks, re-positioned the components again and reinstalled video card drivers but nothing seems to fix the problem permamently.

Last night now the freezes are becoming for regular and very annoying.

So could someone give me some help here so I can finally use my computer without wasting a lot of time because of the restarts and freezes. Like does anyone have an suggestions or some way I can check some log of why the freezes are happening. By the way I don't really have any other components that I can replace to test out the hardware.

Here is my computer specifications by the way.

1200MHz AMD Duron
    256 SDRAM
    Radeon 9000 using Omega Drivers
    Jetway V266B motherboard
    120gig and 10gig HDD
    Windows XP Professional

Take the side cover off and set a house fan there blowing on it.....see if that stops it ...if so, you have a heating problem.
    Improvise - Adapt - Overcome
    SafeSearch is off

You didn't specify your power supply wattage. Sounds like a possible PSU problem?
    "Never corner something that's meaner than you are"

Well I already have the side of my case off and I don't see it being a temperature problem since after the inital freeze/reset it still runs well at 45-50C and doesn't freeze. The only time it seems to freeze is the first time I switch the computer on.

Also my power supply is 400W.

Oh one for thing I forgot. During last night after it froze and I reset the computer, the pc speaker did a lot of little beeps, in no particular pattern (just one after the other very quickly). Could this possibly be telling me where the problem could be?

They should be, that is thier intention.

Check out the beep codes sticky in the Technical Support area. Should help uou clear that up.

:edit:

link to beep sticky

Thats not all inclusive but its pretty good. Seems you have an Award BIOS on that board, following is a link to some specs if it will help someone help you.

specs

Good luck
    Last edited by crossedup; 04-03-2004 at 11:22 PM.

I would check the voltages on your power supply, test your hard drive (visit manufacturer site for diagnostic utilitiy), test your memory (memtest86) and thoroughly check your motherboard for any blown/leaking capacitors. See if you have any problems with those things first.