Thread: Chaintech... GeFORCE FX 5200 ...

Chaintech... GeFORCE FX 5200 ...

i think i made a mistake buying this card.. it is an ok card but recently i have been getting many problems.
    here are my specs

intel p4 3.0 GHz
    intel board
    GeFROCE fx 5200 128 meg chaintech card(agp)
    768 megs of ram
    WD hdd and a maxtor hdd as slave
    xp pro

the problems started about a week ago. my monitor will turn off or flick off then back on no matter what im doing, typing, playing mp3's, gaming it still happens it has been getting more frequent and now the pc totally crashes / freezes im not sure because the display cuts out then it crashes. i tried the onboard card works fine, i put in an older card gforce mx440 and it has been working fine.. i think i got a defective or cheap card i have the original box and info but there is no warranty information so im assuming there is none... i think im going to get an ATI card

unless anyone knows of a remedy for this problem

How much is your power supply? Update video drivers? Does the card's cooling work properly?

You got a good system and a piece of cr** card. I had the same card. My old TI 4200 blew the doors off the fx 5200. For gaming I'd return the card, get your money back and go ATi, at least a 9600 xt or 9800 pro. Do not get a non-pro or an se card, you will be disappointed if you do. The 9800 pro is probably the best card made for the dollar to performance.
    Profanity: a weak mind trying to express itself forcibly.
    http://www.thegopnet.com

Originally posted by mobo57
    You got a good system and a piece of cr** card. I had the same card. My old TI 4200 blew the doors off the fx 5200. For gaming I'd return the card, get your money back and go ATi, at least a 9600 xt or 9800 pro. Do not get a non-pro or an se card, you will be disappointed if you do. The 9800 pro is probably the best card made for the dollar to performance.
    Before we say all that, let's first try and solve his problem. He shouldn't have to go out and spend any more money than he has to.

First, try taking the card out and firmly placing it back in the AGP slot. Second, make sure the fan (if it has one) is not obstructed by any wires, etc. Also, make sure you firmly screw in your monitor cable to the video card.

ok

ill try these tactics later, ive checked the fan and reseated the card a number of times sometimes the screen wouldnt flicker / cut out for a few hours or so after reseating the card. but eventually it would start again i dont know if it is heat related or not. the fan appears to be in working order no wires obstructing it i can hear the fan going. i really wish i could return this card but there is no warranty information, i could try to find my receipt and take it back to the store that i got it from but its doubtful that they'd do anything cause ive had it for a few months.

all the info i have on the manufacturer is
    www.chaintech.com.tw
    yeah.. and a phone number 886-2-2268-9998
    and i dont think i'll be calling that heh. i paid like 70 dollars for the card

ill try using it with the latest drivers becasue when i installed my old card there were new drivers available from nvida that were released 4/1/04 if i remember correctly so maybe that will fix the prob.

well

i called the place where i got the card from and they sent it back to the manufacturer and i went and bought a radeon 9800 pro got an ok deal 217.00

eh not bad ill just sell the other card when it comes back

no more flickering screen =) nice new vid card =)

The 9800 Pro is a much much better card anyways. The 5200 was bottlenecking the system.