Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: mobo selections with int video

mobo selections with int video

I need some options for the in-laws (no, I like these inlaws ).

I'm going to build them a low-end-system in a month or so. They'll need it for general usage, so I'm leaning heavily toward and AthlonXP, say around a 2500+, tho that can change with -$.

Integrated video: they will not be gaming(well, possibly LOW gaming requirements)(nothing over DX7 really). they just need something cheap. I'm sure they'll be fine with anything, though I'd hear issues you guys know of with all those "other" int video variants.

any int audio is fine. int LAN irrelevant, tho ok if included. USB 2.0 preferred. IEE1394 irrelevant.

Could you guys list your recommendations? Here are a few I've thought about:

Asus A7N8X-VM/400 $89 - can't really go too far off with Asus (except the customer reviews say 'go elsewhere' 'too expensive for what you get' 'better options out there'

Biostar M7NCG 400 $60!!! has everything. quality?

Chaintech 7NIF2 $79 - has it all (is it any good?)
    "all animals are equal but some animals are more equal than others".
    George Orwell

MS MCP, MCSE

YOu might also want to consider those nice and compated Shuttle boxes.

that comes with everything but CPU
    i7-3970X, Corsair H80, 32GB G.SKILL, ASUS RAMPAGE4 Formula, VG278H(3x27")+3D Vision2, EVGA GTX 690(x2), OCZ ZX1250W, 256GB Vertex4(x2), Seagate 3TB(x5), Antec LanBoyAir, Logitech G510, G600, Z560THX, T.Flight Hotas, PZ35, Sennheiser PC163D, TrackIR5

thx guys.

Allgamer!!! long time no see.
    George Orwell

Bill,

those boards you listed are all KM400 based. What have you to say about the VIA/S3 Unichrome graphics? Adequate is just fine, especially that the boards all have an AGP slot IF that ever needs increase.

I could start them on an AthlonXP 2000+ . If they ever have to head upward the 3000+ is a good fit.

Those Realtec ALC-650 and 655 codecs are perfect for them.

How do these boards compare to that Biostar I listed in terms of RELIABILITY? Honestly I've never heard too much about Biostar other than they're a low tier manufacturer.

Related: I'll get the WD 40BB hard drive for them. Have 2 myself. Good drives.
    George Orwell

I don't like Biostar - bad experience. MSI is grand. The Unichrome graphics are dog slow at 3D but fine for all else.
    MS MCP, MCSE

The ASUS should be good. The MSI K7N2G-L would also be a good choice.

agreed, deadkenny. Actually that board and the ones I listed are toward the 'top-end' for this family ($ matters). They'll never know the difference in video subsystem performance since practically nothing they'll do will be 3-d (think internet, word perfect, maybe playing music).

I think the choice is between the KM4M-L and A7V8X-MX SE for a basic beginner package.

Presently there's only a $25 difference between an 1800+ ($49) and 2500+ ($75) for OEM, varying cpu's in between. Adding a Thermaltake Volcano 8 SE copper hsf for 7 bux and they'll have a pretty decent basic computer.
    George Orwell

Ultimate Member
    Put a Duron 1600 in. That'll more than do for the task.

Or, if you want to make it really dead cheap, use an ECS L7VMM3. This has a mobile Athlon XP1900+ soldered down onto the board, which gives you the quickest way of building a no-fuss system.

Non-upgradeable? Until that kind of people typically want an upgrade, EVERYTHING you buy today will be so obsolete that you'll have to build a new box anyway.

A few months ago I built a system for the same purpose. I went with an 1800+ but opted for the A7N8X-X based on a combination of availability of alternatives, to stay current and to support potential processor upgrades down the road.

If they want cheap then any of the suggestions BpB offerred will do the trick, but they do use older chipsets... not much of an issue I suppose. If they want something a little more current a newer board will cost a little more (~$30 - such as the ASUS you were originally looking at).

This one has an up to date chip set and also sports GF4 on board graphics - should be better than uni-chrome and isn't much more in price.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...138-234&depa=1

I've had pretty good luck with Biostar boards. They've been reliable for me. One was an absolute PIA to get the LAN driver installed, but I was finally able to do it and it's been working great for my step-son for 2 years. They are low tier - but they've been good to me.
    Last edited by naptownman; 03-24-2004 at 12:35 PM.

Just finished building a system with 2500+ and the DFI KM400-DLV.
    So far the system seems stable, had a couple of glitches during XP Pro install where it kept prompting me to create a new user. Seemed to stop after i had installed the NIC drivers. I also had to install other VIA drivers a couple of times before everything seemed to work right.
    On board Vid seems O.K. played a DVD with no problems. Didn't test for gaming, but wouldn't expect much anyways.
    I guess for $56 for an All-In-One MB it isn't to bad. May check out one of the other KM400'S for the next cheap build i do, or maybe something with the nForce 2 IGP chipset.
    Cant monitor CPU or fan temps with this board, and im wondering if that holds true for all of the KM400 chipset MB's.
    Anyone know about this?
    This MB does have 2 CPU protection features that will prevent startup if above a certain temp, and shut down if a certain temp is reached. Neither of which is adjustable.

MS MCP, MCSE

Thanks Bill, i did try MBM5 http://mbm.livewiredev.com/ and it didnt have support for the DFI KM400-DLV.
    Do you know for sure that Speedfan works with this MB, or other KM400 MB's?

No I don't know for sure. Does that matter?
    MS MCP, MCSE