Thread: Motherboard maker TIER levels

Motherboard maker TIER levels

http://www.digitimes.com/Backgrounde...0922&Content=1

Found this article which lists many Taiwanese mobo makers, plus lists them as Tier 1, Tier 2, etc.

Now my question: what criteria do these makers have to meet to be recognized as Tier 1, 2 etc.? I want to say it's a question of how many units shipped, but I'm unsure. Insight?

ß
    "all animals are equal but some animals are more equal than others".
    George Orwell

Tiers are mainly volume and name brand recognition. It really has nothing to do with quality because while Elitegroup is a tier 1 manufacturer Epox is a tier 2 and we all know Epox has far better quality products than Elitegroup.
    -"Don't touch that!!!!!" -ZAPPPPP!- Hehe yet another excuse to upgrade-

Originally posted by morpheus kain
    Tiers are mainly volume and name brand recognition. It really has nothing to do with quality because while Elitegroup is a tier 1 manufacturer Epox is a tier 2 and we all know Epox has far better quality products than Elitegroup.
    Pulls up a chair, grabs a beer, and settles in to wait for Peter Missel to respond.
    "Dude you're getting a Dell." Obscure curse from the early 21st Century, ascribed to a minor demon-spirit known as "Stephen?" [sp].

Originally posted by Rugor
    Pulls up a chair, grabs a beer, and settles in to wait for Peter Missel to respond.
    Wtf is that supposed to mean?

He normally responds whenever anyone casts aspersions on the quality of any ECS/Elitegroup/PCChips product.
    "Dude you're getting a Dell." Obscure curse from the early 21st Century, ascribed to a minor demon-spirit known as "Stephen?" [sp].

LOL! I can see it happening...m-kain, be prepared to back that statement up.

With the K7S5A alone one friend had one with busted caps that I had to RMA, one completely took a **** and I had to RMA it, they have **** poor bios configuration options, and one is still running like a champ and is overclocked with the Cheap-O-Man bios. Built a few K7S6a ones and the mf'ers were unstable as all hell. There we go that's enough for him not to even need to even ask I would never justify the 10$ saved by buying an ECS motherboard worth the sacrifice in flexibilty and reliability you're making.

I'm not saying that this is conclusive evidence but from my and others experiences they aren't the highest quality motherboards though I'm also not saying they are complete pants or anything there are just FAR FAR FAR FAR better options out there.

pcchips are dirt cheap, exactly what you want if wish to sell dirt cheap pc's.

I've had a couple of good ones and I've had a couple of dodgy ones, the most strange one being an 810 board that will only allow a change in bios if you take the battery out. Need tto change another setting, take the battery out, will not allow a tab, del, F2 soft bios entry at all.

but they are cheap.
    Life is a bowl of cherries