Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How is this possible?

How is this possible?

Now I'm not complaining (for once), but I really want to know how this could be possible.
    I have a 256K connection via ADSL. That should let me get speeds of up to 25Kb per second right?

Explain this picture.
    Attached Images Attached Images

easy one, it starts downloading immediatly, but it doesn't start the counter until you decide where to save to :]

I don't quite follow. This isn't a joke or anything. I immediatley told Getright where to save it, using a normal download window, not getright, gives exactly the same result.
    The download completed in about 20 minutes which is about 6 times faster than a 256K connection should allow.

You may have been the only one d\ling in your "Territory" and your friendly neighbourhood techie at the isp decided to give you the extra bandwidth as a distraction whilst he was quietly uploading your credit card details.

Ultimate Member
    Mind that compressible data might be deflated before travelling the 256 kbit/s line and reinflated upon arrival. That'll raise the actual data throughput above the line throughput - much in the same way as V.42 compression on a normal modem line does.

The compession would hav virtually no effect on a highly compressed file like the Unreal Tournament demo.

Strawbs - I did think about that, but there are many people with ADSL in my immediate area, and nobody working for the telco that owns the infrustructure would have the decency to 'up' my speed.
    I'm only 2 minutes walk away from the exchange so perhaps thats got something to do with it, however I know of (sold them their computers) 2 businesses that are located even closer and they get standard 256.
    I'm not complaining of course, just want a reasonable explanation.
    Last edited by zybch; 02-12-2004 at 07:09 PM.

It all depends on how your ISP throttles your particular connection. I had a brand new fiber optic line layed out in front of my house in GA and bought a supposedly 256k dl ADSL. I always got speeds above what your picture shows. The actual line that comes into your house can handle alot more, it's just your supposed to get what you pay for and thats why the ISP has bandwidth throttling controls.

I've just been to www.bandwidthplace.com and done one of their speed teste and got the attached results.
    Aparently because I'm in australia the test isn't completely accurate, I think it would show a lower rating that I really have because of the routing of data packets from one side of the world to the other.

Wohoooooooo over 10000 kbps...
    "I'm no technical supervisor, I'm a supervising technician."
    --Homer Simpson

here is the pic
    --Homer Simpson

sorry
    --Homer Simpson

Originally posted by zybch
    I've just been to www.bandwidthplace.com and done one of their speed teste and got the attached results.
    Aparently because I'm in australia the test isn't completely accurate, I think it would show a lower rating that I really have because of the routing of data packets from one side of the world to the other.
    You could alway call your ISP and ask them to throttle your bandwidth down some.

here's my connection speed

here

Originally posted by stix_kua
    sorry
    Is that a joke?
    How the bleedin gums murphy is that possible?
    Does the technology exist?
    Sorry if I sound ignorant here, but here in the UK the max you can get is 2mb broadband.
    That is a fifth of what you have quoted.
    Wow.

Originally posted by aghastpumpkin
    Is that a joke?
    How the bleedin gums murphy is that possible?
    Does the technology exist?
    Sorry if I sound ignorant here, but here in the UK the max you can get is 2mb broadband.
    That is a fifth of what you have quoted.
    Wow.
    It's an incorrect reading! stop watching so much "Simpsons", It's making you gullible!