Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: New Video Card

New Video Card

Right now I have the XFX Geforce 4 420 MX card. I'm looking into getting an FX card right now, particularly this one: http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProdu...g=48&depa=0

Am I going to notice a very big difference in performance speed? I need this for using photoshop and some mpeg2 creation. I also game a little bit.

Ultimate Member _Mystical_Night's Avatar
    the link is broken , but no matter what card it is im 100% sure u would get a performance increase over a Geforce MX card those cards are only for basic use not for gaming or grathics intense applications

A better question would be what kind of budget do you have to work with...what kind of card your motherboard will accept...

AGP, PCI??

2X, 4X, 8X...

Send us a hook, and we'll bite

I have a pretty new MSI board with a 2100 overclocked to a 2700. I have 512mb of memory. So I need a 4x AGP card. I'm looking for under $200.

Thanks

If your board will accept a 4X, it should except an 8X as well...

So...for that kind of money, I think a Radeon 9600XT is your best bet right now...

Any other takers??

Ultimate Member
    Yup, Radeon 9600XT is the best card currently availiable in terms of price to performance ration and weighs in at a fairly resonable price too

--Jakk

I have the MSI KT3 Ultra2 board. It says it only supports 4x AGP. What kind of Radeon 9600XT card is good? I want one I can overclock, and for $170ish or less.

Radeon 9600 pro all the way!!

Well don't know about the price difference between the pro and the xt, but either of them will do nicely and you can get them pretty cheap too.

I got my 9600 pro for 180 euro (probably lower now). It's a club3d, but doesn't matter, it's still Ati under the hood and the performance is really good.
    Win XP Pro SP3
    AMD Athlon 64 5000+ Black edition
    2 Gb DDR2 Transcend Ram (2x 1 Gb)
    Gigabyte GA-MA770-DS3

Peak Radeon HD3870

Not much difference in real performance between 4 and 8X, IMO.

You can OC the 9600 Pro well.

The XT comes with software, overdrive, which will safely overclock the card based on applications and performance automaticaly...

I don't know how great this works...but, an OC utility from the manufacturer isn't a bad start!!

128MB DDR GeForceā„¢ FX 5900. This one has higher performance than any card mentioned so far (bar the broken link) and is the current "best-bang-for-the-buck".

Ultimate Member
    Originally posted by iceblue
    ) and is the current "best-bang-for-the-buck".
    ...just not in DX9 apps...

--Jakk

Originally posted by Bigjakkstaffa
    ...just not in DX9 apps...

--Jakk
    He conveniently leaves that part out every time he pimps it.
    yo trick, why you so **** doofus?

New Egg has the Saphire 9600xt for $158 and free shipping. I just got one for my son and it works great.

I have a 128MB DDR GeForce FX 5900 an it rocks in everything, Photo Editing, Video Editing, Gaming an 3D OPENGL "MAYA" Programs. One thing people DON'T mention is you shouldn't go any higher in refresh rate then ur monitor can handle or you risk destroying ur monitor !!!!!!! So, getting an ATI or GeForce is up to you, 'cause 250 FPS doesn't mean dittily sqwat if ur monitor can only goto 1280x1024 @ 60 hz!
    My 128MB DDR GeForceā„¢ FX 5900 max out my games @ 1024x768 @ 75 Hz all the time an video editing is clear but the Vid card has little to do with the speed of the work being done, but I have no problem or gliches I should say, when editing!!!!