Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Build or Buy

Build or Buy

Reading the post re: thoughts on Gateway got me curious about how people feel about a custom PC versus buying off the shelf. My thoughts....when I build a system, I know that I am using quality parts with great upgrade capability. Since most PC problems end up being user error or software related, and not hardware, I really don't care about tech support per se. My limited experience with tech support is that the technician is usually using your description of the problem to look up a stock answer to recite back to you. Off the shelf PC's are so loaded with useless software that the systems seem quite slow and probably more prone to conflicts which would challenge the average home user. I just built a system for a friend, and although I know it's high quality and problem free, I bet he still has lingering doubts when he see's a brand name system on the shelf for about the same price. I'm interested in your thoughts on the subject. Still better to build and recommend the same to friends?

When you build your own PC, its more personal

thats my 2 cents

I build and update computers now as a hobby. Im not experienced enough to offer technical support. I do build systems for family members but thats about it. I just like building things. One year ago I came here afraid to upgrade a processor and as of today I have built 6 computers and upgraded 2 others. I will never buy a retail computer unless the technology becomes user unfriendly. I have nothing against retail systems they are actualy good bargains considering what you are getting. Support and software bundles can be fairly expensive.

I have to go now and buy some more computer components. There is an empty spot in the office that needs to be filled.

Fshanda

Well, there are two completely opposite sides to this. Here are the advantages to both:

GATEWAY:
    For the $100-$300 more than building your own, you get a ton of software included (Windows, Office, but not much bloatware).
    Everything is guaranteed! to work the first 3 years you own your system (what home-built PC has that?)
    If a hardware component goes bad, they probably have one in stock to replace it with, whereas when you build your own you may have to wait weeks for shipping (to and from).

BUILD YOUR OWN:
    You know EVERY piece of hardware that you put in there
    YOU are the tech support person.
    You have a little bit more control over what you get (not much).

It is true, that Compaq and HP put a lot of bloatware on their computers, but AFAIK and AFAMEG (as far as my experiences go), Gateway and Dell do not.

I tried a low-end gateway system (AMD Duron w/ GeForce 2 & 256MB RAM), and it got a much better FPS in Q3 than mine (PIII Coppermine 800EB, 512MB PC133, GeForce 256 w/ 32MB).

I also know a few people who bought Gateway PCs, who are quite computer illiterate, and it seems as though they are very nice for them. A technician can connect to you over the internet and fix it for you, you have tech support 24/7, and there are online guides to doing EVERYTHING.

I also have a few friends who are very very computer literate, and they love them too. They never have problems, and if they do, they can just call up tech support. The computers also come with everything you need for a basic system (worth the $100-$300 extra over building your own).

This is just my $2.50 (calling all that $.02 doesn't seem right )

I would like to own a top of the line Dell system, but I can't afford it. So, basically I can just build what I need for the time being and update when I get the money a piece at a time. But, if your not into building PC's then purchasing one is the way to go. That's how I got started. I bought a Gateway, which I still have and learned from it.

Sweeper

There was a similar thread not too long ago and I voted for build!

You know what??? I'm still keeping that call! So Build.! It's cheaper and you don't have to be a genius to do it (for God sakes, I did it!!! )

Build it!
    I have bought in the past, and you get things you don't like, and need, and could use that money elsewhere, plus I get to choose what goes in my PC, and what features I want as far as expansion slots,video,snd cards and the like.I will build from now on

A few years ago, there was no question that building was both a more economical and better solution to purchasing a computer.

Today, it's really a depends. If one needs licensed software, especially if they are in business, then purchasing a Dell or Gateway would probably be better. The software police take a VERY dim view of people in business using unlicensed software.

For those looking only for a basic computer and using only a 56K dialup, then maybe purchasing the off the shelf may be the most economical. Home builders can't compete with the bottom of the line, which these days aren't too bad.

But, if you start to move in to a more deluxe set up, building your own is the way to go. It's seemingly a tie economically. But with custom, you know what parts in a computer.

Most definitely build it!

If you ever want to upgrade, swap out parts, whatever it's awfully nice to know exactly what's in there (both hardware and software).

Whether you build or buy your computer, make sure you know exactly how well each component on your potential computer compares to others on the market. I'd prefer to build a computer, cuz u can save up to like $800 some times. DON'T get comps from Dell's site. Try eBay or something. Dell, Best Buy, etc., overcharge usually, from what I've seen.

When you build your own comp, you know everything that will be put in it.
    You will know if its a good brand because you can choose which brand's hardware you buy.
    It can cost you more than buying a built pc though.

The bad things about building one is that you have no techsupport, but you can easily get around that since people on the internet in tech chatrooms/messageboards are almost garuenteed to be able to find out whats wrong and help you fix your comp faster.
    The only warrentys you have are from the people you bought the parts from.. usually you would buy oem because its chepaer so you will only have a 30 day warentee.
    Youll have to buy all the software yourself.. which can cost a lot.

However when you buy a pc from dell or any other company, they will have at least a 2 year warenty and 24/7 tech support. It will include freesoftware, etc.

IMO if your new to computers, buy them so you will have the techsupport. If your not then build your own.

KMA
    • Enlight Medium Tower P4 Case Model EN-7237AZ with 340Watts Power Supply, 4 5.25" Bays and 2 3.5" Bays. (Click here for Cooling Devices) N82E16811116104 $75.00 $75.00

• SUNON 80x80x25mm Case Fan, Ballbearing, DC 12V, 2.0W, 2900 RPM, 39.0 CFM, 4-pin. MODEL: KD1208PTB2 (2).H N82E16811999001 $5.00 $5.00

• Abit KT7A Raid - Via KT-133A Chipset 200MHz / 266MHz FSB Sock A Motherboard with 6PCI 1 ISA 1 AGP slot -Retail Box -For AMD Processor N82E16813123128 $123.00 $123.00

• CardExpert GeForce2 MX 400 64MB SDRAM AGP - NVIDIA GeForce 2 MX GPU. 256-bit 3D and 2D graphic accelerator. NVIDIA Shading Rasterizer. Integrated Second Generation Transform and Lighting Engines. 4 texels per clock. 32-bit color with 32-bit z/stencil. Cube environment mapping. DirectX and S3TC texture compression. 700M texel fill rate. 20M triangles/sec setup. 2.8 GB/second memory bandwidth. Retail box. N82E16814128105 $74.00 $74.00

• AMD Athlon Thunderbird 1.4GHz 266MHz Bus Socket A PGA Processor-OEM Version (Requires fan that supports 1.4GHz processor (Click here to order the Optional Cooler Master Processor Fan that supports 1.4GHz processor) N82E16819103165 $113.00 $113.00

• Teac 1.44MB 3.5 Inch Floppy Drive # FD235HFB291 - OEM Version 1year warranty N82E16821103112 $10.00 $10.00

• 2Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 30GB 60 Ultra DMA 100 5T030H3 EIDE Hard Drive 3.5" form 7200rpm - OEM VERSION - Drive Only - Three Year Manufacturer Warranty - (Click Here for IDE cable) N82E16822140125 $101.00 $202.00

• Hitachi 17 Inch .24mm DP 1280x1024 16.1 inch Viewable Model CM615 - Retail Box 3-Year Manufacturer Warranty CM615 provides sharp focus, high brightness and a tight dot pitch of 0.24mm horizontal, 0.14 mm vertical to provide the best value for any 17" monitor. This monitor produces vibrant colors and crisp text as well as flicker-free performance at the most popular resolutions for general business, home office or personal computer use. N82E16824134001 $165.00 $165.00

• Plextor PlexWriter 12x10x32 Internal EIDE CD-RW , 2MB buffer, 150ms Average Random Access , BURN-Proof,. (Drive Only) W/ Adaptec Software Model 121032TI-BPS (Click here for blank CD's) N82E16827106140 $133.00 $133.00

• Pioneer 16X DVD Model 106S, 40x CD-ROM, 512k buffer SLOT - OEM Version High-Speed Average Access Time -95ms DVD-ROM -80 ms CD-ROM Reads single and dual layer DVD-ROM/Video, -R/RW, CD-ROM, Audio CDs, CD-R/RW, Video CDs, Photo CDs, Hybrid CDs, CD-Extra (CD-Plus) and CD-Text Discs Horizontal or vertical mounting capabilities N82E16827129103 $60.00 $60.00

• Creative Lab Sound Blaster Live Value PCI Sound Card OEM Version - Sound Blaster Live! Value is the top audio solution for your games, movies, CDs and other digital entertainment. With its support for today's leading audio standard, EAX, Sound Blaster Live! Value creates real-life, multi-dimensional sound and multi-textured acoustical environments for the most realistic 3D audio experience. N82E16829102132 $45.00 $45.00

• GLOBALWIN's WBK38 CPU Heatsink & Delta Dual Ballbearing Fan for AMD socket A(462) . DC 12V. Fan Speed: 6800 + 15% RPM. Air Delivery: 37.61 CFM. Heatsink material: Anodized Aluminum Alloy 6063. Dimension: 75x68x82mm. 4-pin adaptor included. WBK38. N82E16835107001 $19.00 $19.00

Subtotal: $1,024.00
    Shipping and Handling Charge: $ 92.20
    APO/FPO FedEx Standard Overnight FedEx 2Day FedEx Express Saver
    Grand Total: $1,116.20

Almost forgot the OS, W2K pro OEM $140 and 256MB CL2 pc133 ram from crucial for $38 = $1,294.20. Yes, I know I left the modem and/or NIC out add another $50 if you need it. Another $40 for keyboard and mouse too. We could also do a DDR system for about the same cost.

Now how much would a system like this cost from DELL? Oh wait, Dell DOES NOT SELL AMD! SOL there buddy! What about from Gateway? From gateway you are looking at least $2,000 with WinMe (add$15 for xp upgrade). This also only includes a 20gig drive and no raid.

Sorry but I have better things to do with the $600+ dollars I would save. The answer is very simple it is quite a bit cheaper to build your own providing you have the software already.

Oh, prices from www.newegg.com and www.gateway.com I did not bother checking *ell.

[This message has been edited by jad1097 (edited 08-19-2001).]

I think you are ready to build one on your own.

The biggest expenses you'll have will be:

1) Shipping
    2) OS

But, if you happen to have your copy of Win98/ME/2000 lying around from your previous computer it's a no-brainer.

I like Gateways, Dells, HPs etc. They give a lot for the money. But I would never buy a ready made computer. Building, sometimes, may not even be a substansial savings from the big guys. But you will get exactly what computer (ie. components) you want.

This is kind of daunting at first because you have to figure out, what CPU with what motherboard and what kind video and sound do you want.

But you learn and get advice, and realize it was pretty easy, and fun.

Build.
    Also the above statement about shipping being an expence. I assume that since gateway has a store in every state that you have to pay tax?
    Tax on $2000 = $130-$150 that's a lot of shipping.

Or, you could save yourself the money on some Microsoft OS that has a Buglist the size of China, and download a Linux OS. It is really worth learning...

BTW: I'm not some crazed Linux fanatic. I use SuSE 7.2 occassionally, but my primary OS is Win2K