Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Build or Buy

I'm gonna have to say build.
    1. You know what's in it
    2. You still have warranties on each individual item you buy, most of the time
    3. You can borrow software from a friend and load it onto your computer instead of speanding $400.00 on win2k PRO alone
    4. If you borrow the software, it's much cheaper than buying a pre-built machine
    My two cent: When I think about it buying a PC is worth it, because if you went and bought everything you get when you buy a pre built machine, MS office, your OS, etc., the price gets very close to buying a machine, plus you get tech support. Me personally, I'd rather save some money and build and borrow the software from friends, but that's just me. If you don't know how to keep your computer running well, or don't have a friend that knows, I say buy. But if you do borrow the software and BUILD .

Good Luck,
    Hawkeye178

Building is more fun and you learn too.

I love to build and work on machines, but it does depend on what the machine is for.
    For example, my dad needed two computers for his office... because he needed win2k, office, and a good warranty, we bought them, instead of building. For 2 big reasons, warranty, and I can't gurantee to always live close and come immediately to do tech support.
    But, I think for my personal system I will always build/upgrade.
    dragonB

I think you should build your own ..ive built all but my first one and im very pleased

AMD

How are you going to learn about computers if you don't jump in and build one? That's how I learned 95% of what I know...it's very entertaining and edifying.

Also, you can save some money, you use quality products, and aren't limited by the vendor's configuration.

On the other hand, if you're just using it for WP and internet, just go for a shelf system.

I'm going to weigh in on the side of buy for two specific reasons:

1) Unless you have a keyboard, mouse, floppy, Cdrom, speakers, lying around, these can add cost to your machine which brings it close to the shipped cost of a new machine.

2) As has been hit on, no tech support.

I built my own about a year ago, hoping to save money. I ended up having to get everything listed in #1 above, and only saved about $300. For that money, I'd just as soon have bought a Dell.

One of the problems I encountered was that I bought generic ram to save money. After 3 weeks of BSODs, I finally realized it might be the RAM.

So, now I only build for fun. If I need to do real work on the machine, I will buy.

One short plug: Dell refurbished. They have current systems about 20-30% off and a one year warranty. I bought my wife a dell laptop that way and she loves it. We've had not problems with it either.

My 2 cents ...

If you are new to computers, or if you are not, a good way to get your computer is a custom built PC.. You can choose whatever you want, get rid of the stuff you dont want which will save you money, and then it will be custom built and shiped to your home. Basically a custom built PC from online, is like building your own computer without having to do any of the work..

-MaK

I prefer to build just because I like to and I get to choose what goes into the machine.

Also - I can "accumulate" parts for months a little at a time rather than finance a new system or put down $1500 all at once.

So - while it isn't cheaper - I get ALL good parts I choose rather than what an OEM will give me - typically - I'm disappointed with about 30% of the parts in an off the shelf I can afford to pay full price for.

Also - once you start building PC's some how, you also start accumulating parts towards your next one - a floppy drive here - a 6 month old hard drive there - the odd spare keyboard and mouse..... pretty soon you need a closet - and then find your are a third of the way towards your next system build already.....

I save my boxes as when I sell my old parts to surplus, you get a little more for them in the original box with documentation....

my 2 cents worth....

Oh - PS - you learn a WHOLE lot - and salemen find it more difficult to talk you into the "bargin hardware" they try to push on you.

mcooke:

The computer "enthusiast" who likes to tweak their machine for optimum performance, update components to keep pace with technology, and takes some pride and interest in the machine they use is obviously better off with a custom built machine. That first build tends to be fairly expensive because you have to buy every component separately, but you tend to recover some of the cost when you can upgrade instead of replace.

On the other hand, some people would rather just plug the machine in, turn it on, use a nicely bundled software package until it's obsolete then throw it away and start over with a new machine. Those people are better off buying an off-the-shelf computer.

Personally, I build my own. I've considered building machines for other friends, neighbors, etc. - but I can't get past my fear of listening to all the whining when that new video game isn't compatible with their video card drivers, or the CDROM doesn't work because their kid stuck a peanut butter sandwich in it, etc......

It also depends upon how much a warranty is worth to you. Reputable manufacturers will take an RMA. But your computer will be down for some time until the replacement arrives.

With a Dell, it'll be fixed real quick.

But then again, by the time something usually goes out, you can buy a better upgrade part!

I think a few people have raised valid points about for whom and what the computer will be used for.

But, I think if mcooke will be using for his own, and not for a business; the mere fact he's brought the question to this forum shows that he'd be very capable in putting together said system.

I think the only real competition for a home-built would be a "custom" from Dell or Gateway. This would be much more apparent if you are starting from scratch. A keyboard, mouse, CD-ROM will add up.

But, as has been said previously; the next time you upgrade it will be that much cheaper.

I say go for it.

In my experience, I've noticed that the low-end PC's can actually cost more to build, but with the high end PC's with newer video cards and processors it can save a bundle. So if you just want a POS to surf the web and do a little office work, get one of those $400 computers from best buy (free with internet contract if you must...). But if you're into hard core gaming or intense graphics applications or something crazy like that, you can save hundreds of dollars. I did a check on the top of the line (most expensive) system from best buy a while ago and compared it to custom making that system and found that I would save about $1000 not including OS, so IF you buy WinME or 2K then it's like $800 savings.

Of course, with everyone just giving away their 2ยข soon we'll have enough for one of those economy size PC's

I've already built 2 for myself, 3 if ur counting the POS 486 I have running occasionally. I would definately say BUILD!
    As long as u read the manuals and you know what you're doing. A slight mistake could result in serious consequences!

Good Luck to you, and please go with AMD!

-=jd=-

I'd have to disagree with JAD - there are a limited number of mistakes you cannot recover from - but only if you don't "FoRcE!!!" connectors......

You can't put the RAM in backwards, you can't screw up the power connectors that come as stock on systems - you typically can't mess up connecting the power cables to the mother board -

Things to avoid the "first time out"

"rounding" ribbon cables - try that some day after you've built your second system and have lots of extra ribbon cables littering a desk drawer somewhere.

Any "combo" card - avoid internal modem-blaster cards that try to double as sound cards - I also recommend staying away from "win" or "soft" modems -

You really don't need to try to "overclock" a processor the first time you build a system.

Don't try to "build the better heat-sink" - go with stock the first time out.

A "basic system" does not include a DVD player, a network card, a sound card, a DVD decoder card, etc. etc.

A basic system includes
    floppy drive - hard drive - CD-ROM drive - mother board - processor - RAM - power supply - case - keyboard - mouse - video card - monitor - and the screws and ribbon cables needed to connect the mess together - that and a boot floppy and the CD with the operating system on it. If you go with mostly used parts, you can probably scratch this together for about $400.

Your best friend is a good motherboard manual.

Your motherboard will determine most of the other components you will get so select that first. Take it with you when you go shopping for parts - If you get a used board - make sure you can find the manufacturer's web site AND they have a manual you can download and print.

If this is your first build, your "mantra" should be "6 month old technology is good enough" - not only is it much less expensive, but it is well understood and all the bugs have probably been worked out of it by people here.......

have fun