Thread: Windows Explorer keeps asking for disk

Windows Explorer keeps asking for disk

I'm using Windows 2000 Pro, SP4, Dell Optiplex GX110. I have a CD-ROM drive, CD-RW, and a Iomega 250 Zip. Suddenly in the past day or two, Explorer keeps telling me to insert the disk when I click on any of the aforementioned drives. I can hear them running up, even my old floppy, which also is behaving identically) just is not recognized by Explorer. I uninstalled several recent installs, and now I have my Zip drive back. I went into Safe Mode, and everything works fine. I suspect a software installation has corrupted a drive that does not load in Safe Mode, but I am running out of programs to un-intall. Device manager says everything is working fine. No luck with bootable CD's, such as my Windows installation disk, but in Safe Mode I have no problem at all, so how could it be a corrupt CD drive? I think this all started when I installed MS's .Net Framework, which I have un-installed. If I boot from the Windows CD and try a system repair, do I have to re-install SP3 and 4?

Sounds like a virus. Have you scanned?

Try removing all of the drives in question in Safe Mode and rebooting.
    MS MCP, MCSE

PS

I did a search here and came up with a couple of people with the identical problem, but no definitive answer.

Will do. Hey, when did you stop pounding your head on the desk?

I just stopped a few minutes ago.
    MS MCP, MCSE

Scanned with AVG and a tool from Symantec. No viruses detected. Now get this: I put an audio cd in, and it is playing it fine!? But Explorer refuses to acknowledge it. And the icon has changed showing I have a music cd in it (Dylan, "Under the Red Sky"). Doubly

Scan of spyware too.

http://security.kolla.de/

Update it right away.
    MS MCP, MCSE

Installed and updated SpyBot. Removed a considerable amount of commercial trash, but I still have the problem. I checked some registry entries and there are some differences between my Zip drive and the Cd drives. Whether that is a result of their physical difference, I do not know. I was looking for some type of detect function, but I guess I wouldn't know it if I saw it. I have a packet writing program, InCD, installed, so I'm going to pull the plug on that next.

Found the culprit, an older version of InCD from Ahead Software. They have an update, which is actually an upgrade to their latest version of InCD, which makes Windows 2000 Explorer work like Windows XP Explorer. The file is located here:
    http://www.nero.com/us/631938356212815.html
    Wow, the sun is shinning, blueberry skies, and I'm goin' for a bike ride, 'cause the bass are too tight to bite.

Thands All