Thread: should i overclock with these temps?

should i overclock with these temps?

amd 2500+ with stock heatsink
    asus a7n8x deluxe
    case (i have no idea what the name is) with 2 fans

in speed fan it says that my cpu temp is 50 degrees celcius. should i attempt to overclock with this temp?

With a stock HS I would not advise it. If you were to head out and get a better heatsink/fan combo then you could.

I thought the new HS/Fans on the Bartons were supposed to be better quality and work better than that? Hmmm

anyway, I'd recommend a Thermalright Heat sink.
    Check out the HS reviews and rankings at overclockers.com for the a good look at heat sink performance.

http://www.overclockers.com/articles373/

I have the same setup with 4 case fans (2 intake, 2 exhaust) and my CPU temp is 41C idle, 45C load. The new stock HSF are nice, not the best, obviously...but still well suited for the job.

No
    And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers

Why not buy a new hs/fan. A decent one only costs around $30. I recommend a vantec airoflow. Keeps my board cooler overclocked almost 400mhz than running stock speeds with stock hs/f.

Ultimate Member
    They are better, but the reason AMD packaged the Barton's with better HSFs is to adequately dissappate the added heat the Barton's produce.

IMO the stock heat sink is good enough for stock speeds, and good enough to overclock only as high as the stock vcore allows you to go. If you want to OC to a point where you need to give the cpu more juice, I would highly recommend a better HSF. Again, this are my own "rules of thumb" and have no real technical merit.

The risks of overclocking are also a lot greater if you're starting out with high temps to begin with.