Thread: Compaq Celeron 566

Compaq Celeron 566

Would like to know about 566 celerons and Compaq MB's. Starting a home wireless network to share internet and the second computer is of course this Compaq with a 566 Celeron that's labled 566/128/66/1.5v. Can this be upgraded tp a 766 Celeron with 1.7v and I know the BIOS in these Compaqs stink but how and what would I have to change, or would it self detect like the AMD's
    Also how much of a performance increase would there be? This is a mATX board and has OB video and no AGP slot.

Mod w/ an attitude Sterling_Aug's Avatar
    Check the Compaq website for your model.

I doubt that you can update that far. You probably would have to manually configure the BIOS settings if it will even work at all.

There would only be a minimum noticible spped improvement.

Your best best would be a case/mobo/processor/RAM uogeade.

IMHO You should be able to do the upgrade. The 766 Celery is also a 66Mhz FSB CPU and the only thing that has to change is the Multiplier and CPU VCore voltage, and the Bios should autodetect the Multiplier and Voltage and set it for you. Though not available for manual setting in Bios, most OEM MB's autodetect those settings for you. If available, You might want to check for a Bios update for the MB before doing the upgrade.

Have been doing more checking and I hope this thing will autodetect because I sure can't find much info on this thing. Compaqs website is useless! Yahoo search didn't find much!
    Bios settings are very limited and it dosen't give a bios string at boot up, so I have no idea what board this is. "OEM"!
    From what I have found I'm beginning to have second thoughts, only 66MHz FSB, udma33, no AGP slot. But then this is only a secondary machine.

To find out who made your motherboard you can get the Bios string that flashes on the boot screen at the bottom of the page. Write it down.

Go here and check it against the list.

http://www.wimsbios.com/ - Bios Numbers

You should be able to find out who made it at least.

Also, OEM's used the same board for a number of different models, so there may be a jumper/s on the MB to set Multiplier and FSB for the CPU speeds they used with that MB. It is Possible that you could upgrade to a 100Mhz FSB CPU as well. You'll have to look the MB over very carefully.

Good Luck!

Turn on the PC and immediately press the F10 key to boot into the BIOS.

We need the BIOS string or the model number so we can check the Compaq website for this.

As I've said previously, NO BIOS string at boot. not even when entering bios. All it shows is a Red Logo Compaq screen.
    From what I've found at www.motherboards.org ID search this looks like a MiTEC 6513WU, BMW series.
    Supports 370 Celeron, Pent III, with 66/100/133 fsb. Very cheezy Award BIOS.
    Will do more research!

Originally posted by bonz_dragon
    As I've said previously, NO BIOS string at boot. not even when entering bios. All it shows is a Red Logo Compaq screen.
    There may be a bios option to turn OFF the full screen boot logo(Compaq), in which case you'll be able to see the actual boot up screens instead of the Logo

Yeah, Where? Haven't seen one.

There should be an option line in the bios to kill the bootup logo. Mine does.
    "Never corner something that's meaner than you are"

OK, Have the board out and a part # P/N 3167006000001-R01, which is a MiTEC BMW series board. Was given a link to a MiTEC 6513WU BMW which looks just like it but can't access they're site to see if I can locate this particular one.
    Compaqs site is very vague, just like there manuals! Any help will be greatly app'ed.

Billforce, How do you get rid of the Logo screen?

Press esc key when the logo shows up. Then go into the BIOS.

I managed to find a manual and a different (non-Compaq) BIOS for this Compaq (Mitac) motherboard on the Mitac web site.

I have not tried to flash the BIOS yet, making sure I have all my info so I dont screw it up.

If Bonz or anyone else has more info or needs what info I have reply to this thread or PM me.