Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: PC won't post

PC won't post

Ok back in December I ordered a new CPU/MOBO to replace my old K63 450. I ordered a XP-1900 that came with a ECS K7S5A MOBO. I read pretty good things about the MOBO on a couple sites and liked all of it's features so I ordered them along with 2 512mb sticks of RAM, 300W PSU (thats what was coming in the systems with the XP-1900 at the time), and a new video card for the 4X AGP slot (ATI Radeon 7000). I let everything sit for about a month before I put it in a case and when I did I got NOTHING. All of the fans, HDD, and CD-rom drives all powered up but the monitor had a blank screen. I got no CPU "BEEP" or anything. So after messing with it and unplugging power to everything in the case except for the MOBO I got fed up and stuffed it ini my closet. Now I would like to get it running. So what do you suggest I do? I was thinking maybe I got a bad MOBO or CPU so I was going to order a new CPU and see if that was the problem.

Thanks,
    TJ

You should just start all over. Remove everything and unhook all the drives. Start with just cpu, ram, and video card and see if it will post.

Originally posted by TBaGZ
    I let everything sit for about a month before I put it in a case and when I did I got NOTHING. All of the fans, HDD, and CD-rom drives all powered up but the monitor had a blank screen. I got no CPU "BEEP" or anything. So after messing with it and unplugging power to everything in the case except for the MOBO I got fed up and stuffed it ini my closet. Now I would like to get it running. So what do you suggest I do? I was thinking maybe I got a bad MOBO or CPU so I was going to order a new CPU and see if that was the problem.
    That's a weird problem that I have also...using my old cel.450mhz with abit bx6 mobo.

When ever I would swap out the videocard or I also put in a bigger/better Pow-Supply & sometimes swap out Hds it sometimes wouldn't post but everything would powerup.
    It wasn't the videocard or pow-supply & still not sure why or if the CPU/Mobo is glitchy.

Here's how I get it to post/get into bios-windows.
    I would have to unplug all HdsPow+RibbonCables.
    Also unplug any USB devices & extra fans.
    It may take a few times or much more powering on/off, but then when it post to BIOs I shut down & plugged everything in.
    Then I had no problems shutting down/starting up until the next time I swapped videocard etc. I do some editing from my VideoCam using All In Wonder Card + swap back to my Raedon 9600 Pro for gaming. So I run into this problem often.

Possible resetting bios etc may or may not work, it didn't for me. Also removing the battery for a few days didn't work for me.

TBaGZ-

The biggest suspect is the power supply being inadequate! If you read some of the main complaints with that mobo, its that it would require at least a good 350-watt Power Supply Unit and nothing less. The trade off for such an inexpensive mobo is that it would require a more potent PSU (Power Supply Unit) and good brand name memory modules to run on it.

If you are using a mislabeled PSU or non-compatible memory modules, then that would be the reason why it won't boot. This particular mobo is very picky on PSUs and memory modules and that is a fact that most users who have this mobo will tell you!

LPTECH

OK, I found a 500W PSU at Computer Renassaince for 50 bux so I am gunna go pick it up tomorrow and see if that is it.

That mother board was bad about shorting out on the case ...watch your spacers
    Improvise - Adapt - Overcome
    SafeSearch is off

In addition to the other's advice, try booting with just one stick of RAM.
    This area reserved for highly intelligent observations.

I've run a 2000XP on a cheapo 300W PSU that came with my case, but the these can vary greatly from make to make.

First make sure the ATX Power Switch (the little black plug that comes from the case power switch that plugs into the motherbaord) is plugged into the correct place. From memory this board uses a 2pin Power LED as well, not the standard 3 pin - make sure you have'nt plugged this in somewhere it shouldn't be.

After you switch on, feel behind the fan at the back to make sure its spinning. If its not, either the Power switch cable is in the wrong place or your PSU is duff.

As stated before strip the machine of everything you can, leaving the CPU, GFx Card and RAM. Leave the drives all disconnected until you get a POST screen.

Check the CMOS Battery jumper is in the correct position and not in the discharge CMOS position.

Make sure the back of the GFX card is firmly put in, these cards have a habit of popping out.

I've used 3 of these boards, and they hated a certain brand of Nvidia Gfx Card. Mine did the same as yours, but your problem could be quite a few things (like stated above).

The only other thing is the RAM. Is it defintely 133Mhz RAM (DDR 2100 or PC133) or better? XP use 133Mhz RAM. Depending on the revision, this board can take both types, but not at the same time. According to some people at www.aria.co.uk - the board is not so keen on certain brands of SDRAM. I've never noticed this.

On the RAM front again, on earlier versions 512MB RAM modules were unusual to have - try getting a borrow of some other smaller RAM modules and check it.
    Last edited by Bellbus; 10-14-2003 at 11:54 AM.

OK, now I am starting to get pissed again. I swapped inthe new PSU and only left the power switch, fans, case speaker, one stick of PC133 ram, and the video card plugged into the MOBO and still NO POST OD BEEP! All the fans powered up though. More help please!

Did you check that cmos jumper? Some places have been know to check the mobo when they buy it from the manufacturer before they sell it to the customer.

If this was the case they have had the jumper in the short position for what ever reason and forgot to change it back.

checked it...moved it...moved it back...removed it....nadda

Have you tried it out of the case laying on some non conductive material to see if it will post?

Yes, I just took it out of the case and set it on the carpet and still got nothing.

Man!!!!!! you better hope that carpet didn't have any static in it. Anyhow I was reading on the web site that the K7S5A PRO I believe it was was really picky about the cpu fan and the customer changed it "Of course it didn't say to which kind" but it fired right up after it was changed.

Who knows maybe yours has the same problem.

compatibility problem with AMD CPU Hits:1545
    Question
    All system have troubble with newest Athlon 1.4 GHz CPU. The CPU codes are: A1400 AMS3C AYHJA0128TPKW A1400 AMS3C AYHJA0129BPPW

Answer
    Fixed after asked customer change CPU FAN , since AMD CPU is very senstive on thermal .
    Last edited by mrrobotto; 10-14-2003 at 11:03 PM.

too be honest I am about to the point that I am gunna just through it in the garbage! I have the fan that came with the CPU on, it seems like it should be enough. It has a pretty big heatsink on it and what not but who knows. last thing I wanna do right now is spend 50 bucks on a fancy fan for it not to work either.