Thread: Wanted: WW2 flight sim

Wanted: WW2 flight sim

'Allo.
    I used to play LucasArts' Their Finest Hour: The Battle Of Britain on my Amiga 500 - can anyone recommend a similar game for the PC?

Ultimate Member
    The following can be had for less than a fiver/tenner each

B17: The mighty eight

IL2: Sturmovik

--Jakk

i think it was in this forum
    some1 posted a link
    lucas arts are brining a new ww2 flight sim out
    secret weopons something

Thanks, I'll check 'em out

germanNiklas: That rings a bell actually, I think it's "Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe"... might be the sequel to the one I was remembering. I'll go and Google it.

yes
    that was the name
    i think its still comming out this year
    not sure...

Besides those mentioned there are a few that come to mind, although none are very new now other than IL2, but a few you might want to check out would be...

IL-2 Sturmovich:Forgotten Battles
    Janes World War II Fighters
    European Air War
    MS Combat Flight Simulator and CFS 2, and 3

Janes WWII fighter is a little old, but a really good game. Janes always makes good titles.

Thanks for all the suggestions.
    What I'm really looking for are the features found in BoB - the ability to fly pretty much every aircraft involved in WW2, decent missions and the ability to "rotate" through the positions of pilot, gunner and bomber in the same plane. From what I've found, Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe is actually quite an old (DOS) game - I'm looking for something newer

Most modern (post DOS) flight sims have been pretty narrow when it comes to flyable planes AND good Missions AND cool features like moving around the different Aircraft positions. I think it's a matter of all the work involved in creating flight models and 3d modeling and artwork etc. etc. for each plane. It's a lot of work to give a gamer "the ability to fly pretty much every aircraft involved in WW2" as you want.

Not many newer titles include both Heavy Bombers and Fighters as flyable aircraft.

IL-2: FB gives you lots of Types and alternate positions, but focuses on the eastern front and leaves out most British and US Types other than a couple of lend lease types like the P-39 and P-40 and an export model Hurricane I think. And Russian Heavy Bombers were antiquated to be generous.( exposed Pilots and gunners positions? )

B-17 Flying Fortess: The Mighty Eighth focuses on Heavies, but does let you man all the positions.

My favorite is the Pacific Theater and There's only been 4 sims ever afaik for the Pacific theater. Aces of the Pacific(Dos), Pacific Strike(Dos), 1942: Pacific Air War(Dos) and MS Combat Flight Sim 2(WinX), and all 4 focus on Fighter craft, with a couple of Dive Bombers and Torpedo planes thrown in. Oh well.