• The third PC

3 10.71%
  • The fourth PC

2 7.14%
  • The fifth PC

5 17.86%
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Help me choose a new PC

Personally, I think overclocking is a waste of time. IMHO for people who want to get the most out of their computer sure... but when it comes down to the average PC user or most anyone in fact, who needs the minimal performance gained by overclocking? These procs are fast enough already, overclocking them a little bit won't yield any results worth noting and by the time you reach the point where it makes a significant difference your risking your CPU.... if you can even get it overclocked by that amount.

Getting the best bang for the buck shouldn't have to do with overclocking "potential" which is really what it is. Which CPU offers the best performance for the least money.. without having to modify it for no reason.

I would be very interested to see someone point out the relavance of gaining 2 or 300 mhz when put into REAL LIFE situations where you can actually SEE the results. Not 70 fps to 100 fps because you cannot physically tell the difference.

Don't overclock Cornflake.

Some people could tell you the diffrence between 70 and 100fps. Most of the time when overclocking people do it in addition to many other tweaks and modifications that as a whole do net a very noticeable performance gain in their computer. Why in the world are you on a forum NAMED SYSOPT bashing system optimizatoin? Also we are not here to TELL people what to do we are here to present the facts so people can make a knowledgeable and informed decision.

When it comes to bang for the buck why wouldn't you include the overclockability of a processor? When you can overclock and get good performance gains with a very minimal risk WHEN YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING why not?
    -"Don't touch that!!!!!" -ZAPPPPP!- Hehe yet another excuse to upgrade-

System optimization and control over the settings that affect performance is the "name of the game" on performance gaming machines. The more control, the better. I always check and see what settings get best performance for quality settings, and then optimize the computer based on results from a series of tests. I actually have quite a bit of fun doing it too.

I know some people who have fun formating their HD and then installing Windows again.

Originally posted by morpheus kain
    Some people could tell you the diffrence between 70 and 100fps. Most of the time when overclocking people do it in addition to many other tweaks and modifications that as a whole do net a very noticeable performance gain in their computer. Why in the world are you on a forum NAMED SYSOPT bashing system optimizatoin? Also we are not here to TELL people what to do we are here to present the facts so people can make a knowledgeable and informed decision.

When it comes to bang for the buck why wouldn't you include the overclockability of a processor? When you can overclock and get good performance gains with a very minimal risk WHEN YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING why not?
    System optimization doesn't have to mean overclocking... I don't know where your getting that from. I'm not saying you are telling him to ocerclock but I think in light of his current situation any talk about overclocking is needless to say the least.

I think the number of people who can tell the difference between 70 and 100 fps is too small to count as legit.

Whether or not you know what you are doing when it comes to overclocking or think you do doesn't mean that the risk isnt there. No matter how much you try to make sure you know what you are doing chances are the first time your gonna mess up. Which is fine when you can replace what you have, but in Cornflake's case I don't think that would be the most viable option.

I didn't say he should overclock. I also said earlier that he should do some research into overclocking and tweaking.

You mentioned overclocking potential should be included in the overall value of the processor, if he isn't going to overclock why would he be concerned about that?

Like I said, I think that no matter how much research you put in to it, most people will make a mistake their first time. I'm certainly guilty of that. And since this may be his only working computer for a long time with no chance of replacement I don't think he should even be considering overclocking.

Most people are able to overclock without messing anything up you apparently are an exception. I never said he WILL OR WON'T be overclocking. Just because you're incapable of overclocking your own processor doesn't mean that everyone else is.

No need to get down on people, let's keep this friendly.

Actually, I've never tried overclocking. No need to. What I was referring to was making a mistake the first time.

And ya.. take it easy. I only posted because I dont want to see Cornflake make a mistake overclocking and then not have a computer at all.

Ok, gang.
    I just or rather my brother talked my mother into buying the PC right now.
    But I need a lil' bit more help. The Kingston HyperX memory is haunting me with it's high price.
    Will it really give me that much of a boost over some no-name RAM?

Proc: CPU Intel Pentium 4 2,60GHz/512kB, FSB 800MHz, HT, 478 tray

Vent: 80x80, 2xred/2xblue LED

Mommy: Abit IS7-E Soc.478/i865PE/800/SATA/USB2.0/H6X/ATX

Memory: 2x 256MB DDRAM 400MHz PC3200

HDD: 80GB Seagate B 7200.7 ST380011A
    UDMA100/8,5/7200/683/2

Graphics: Sapphire Atlantis 9600 XT, 400/650, TV-out, DVI, 8X

Flopi:Sony1.44MB
    CD: Lite-On 52*32*52, IDE, Burn Proof, black, Nero

Speakers: Creative Inspire 4.1 4400, Sub.17W, Sat.6W BULK

Case: Midi Tower ATX Codegen 6091-CA, 400W, PFC, USB, LN, must

Keys: Logitech Internet EST, PS/2, OEM

Mouse: Wheelmouse B58 optical, PS/2 ja USB

Is there possibly anything else left to iron out?

First of all, I have to just say that I totally disagree w/Sark, and kain is right. There are sooo many people who OC their CPU/video cards. Do they do it to run up their electricity bill? Do they spend their hard earned dollars on fans, heatsinks and thermal paste for nothing? No, they do it because they experience, first-hand, the difference between stock and OCed. If you were to ask me, Id say that Sark hasnt really ever researched OCing. Thats just me.

Cornflake, if i may make a suggestion, check out this Western Digital hard drive. Its a Top Seller at newegg, plus 8MBs of cache, which judging by the last number; 2, the Seagate only has...2.

And how much are you paying for those Creative speakers? For $63 bux you can get the Logitech Z-640 5.1 speakers....read some of its reviews.

Last but not least, dont get the Kingston. Stick w/Crucial its definately good enough...just doesnt look fancy.

Ok, changed HDD and speakers at 5.1 they cost about 60 bucks (The shop doesn't have those lohitech ones).
    Crucial and Kingston RAM costs too much.

Protsessor: CPU Intel Pentium 4 2,60GHz/512kB, FSB 800MHz, HT, 478 tray 2690.-
    __________________________________________________ ______________________
    Ventilaator: 80x80, 2xpunane/2xsinine LED 125.-__________________________________________________ ______________________
    Emaplaat: Abit IS7-E Soc.478/i865PE/800/SATA/USB2.0/H6X/ATX 1365.-
    Mälu: 2x 256MB DDRAM 400MHz PC3200 2x 650.-
    Kõvaketas: 80GB WD Caviar WD800JB UDMA100/8,9/7200/8MB 1190.-
    Graafika: Sapphire Atlantis 9600 XT, 400/650, TV-out, DVI, 8X 2790.-
    Flopi:Sony1.44MB 119 __________________________________________________ ______________________
    CD: Lite-On 52*32*52, IDE, Burn Proof, must, Nero 599.-
    Kõlarid: Creative Inspire 5.1 P580, Sub. 17W, Sat. 6W BULK 810.-
    Korpus: Midi Tower ATX Codegen 6091-CA, 400W, PFC, USB, LN, must 590.-

So what kind of RAM are you getting? Havent you been listening to people on here? Good RAM is one of the most important components. You need NOT skimp on the RAM. Id rather see you get 4.1 speakers than cheap RAM. Stick w/the Crucial. Its a whopping $94 bux for 2x256.