Thread: I speak to you from Mandrake

I speak to you from Mandrake

Wow!

9.1 even configured my ethernet card to connect to the net thru my XP machine downstairs (I doubt that Bill would be too pleased ).

my only hiccup seems to be the printer up here is too old to be recognised and it's printing out gobbledegook ...but I can send the prints across the net (i think) so it's not too big a deal.

Security: how strong is the firewall in Mandrake and what would be the best way to configure it ...or would it be better to go with a third party? Also what anti-virus software do you linux guru's recommend (free of course, I'm just a beginner remember).

If I can get used to this OS I may install it on my main rig!

Thanks.

Now I speak from XP!

darnit! it broke already

I was swapping the GUI and it locked up tight (ctl-alt-del was a no-go) I reset and all I get is the console login (****!), the GUI has gone.

I'm starting to think that Linux is not robust enough for me yet!

Yep, Mandrake is one of the first fun OSes to play with. I found it to be the easiest one by far just to pick up and use. I would be using it myself it I knew if it supported duel monitors and if I was not stuck with MSN.

I like Mandrake too - if it supported my Canon printer I'd use it pretty much full-time. But yes, it's not as stable as some would have you believe

Chubtub, can't you set up a dialup connection to connect to the MSN servers from a linux machine?

In Linux when you want to leave the GUI you should press CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE. You will be brought to run level 3. When you press CTRL-ALT-DEL your system will restart as is set up by the Linux Kernel - automatic Run Level 6 - except in your case with the freeze. - I had lock up problems with Linux on my Intel 865 board until I upgraded my Kernel. http://www.kernel.org - 9.1 came with Kernel 2.4.21 and I installed 2.4.22 and my lock up went away. Updating the kernel is a big problem when you are new to linux. You have to compile and install it. Can take some time but it is worth learning how to do.

Mandrake changed the name of the XFree86 config program. I do not remember what it is witout being on my linux box. But you can type "startx" without quotes after logining into the linux box and you will go into X. If it fails use the three key drop and figure out how to recoonfigure X. Once in X you can use the Mandrake control center to set your default run level to 5. This will boot you back into X automatically.
    Last edited by rraehal; 10-02-2003 at 07:17 PM.
    -- Mathias

Mandrake, RedHat and Knoppix are all about the same to use and none have the ease of use or flexibilty of XP. They have a long way to go. We all try them and don't like to admit it, but Bill has a superior product. I like trying out software and that is a royal pain with Linux. Third party software is not easy to install.

cntrl+d or type exit then enter to leave a terminal window.
    If in a terminal you can get gui with cntrl+alt+f7. cntrl+alt+F1 to F6 may give you up to 6 terminals.
    stop or cntrl+c may stop running programs.

Thanks for the tips guys, I give them a try today. If none of them work I'll do a re-install, I'm not beaten yet!

MDK 9.2 is just around the corner and I been playing with rc2 of that distro and so far so good.

Ctrl/Alt/Backspace shuts down X.

Ctrl/Alt/F1 switches to virtual console

Ctrl/Alt/F7 gets you back to X from virtual console

Ctrl/Alt/Del reboots

ctrl-alt-esc and a skull and crossbones will come up allowing you to use X-kill to end an offending program by clicking on it..

StartX got me back into gui mode. The other shortcuts are welcome too, just got to get used to thinking outside the box again where computers are concerned, something I haven't had any reason to do since '98.

Thanks again guys.