Thread: 0175: Bad CRC1, Stop POST task ERROR

0175: Bad CRC1, Stop POST task ERROR

Hello,

Recently my checksum became corrupted. when I start my IBM Thinkpad T20 laptop it doesn't even get to the bootup stage. It hangs the with error: " 0175 : Bad CRC1, Stop POST task" .

Does anyone know how to reset the CRC Checksum on the mainboard?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Fausto

I don't think this is going to be as simple as resetting CMOS, which you could do by removing the button cell battery from the motherboard while you are gone to the store to get another (typically a CR2032) battery. By the time you return to replace that battery, the power sustaining the CMOS program will have drained and CMOS settings will revert to default. Whether or not this solves the problem, the cost is minimal and it will possibly save problems in future.
    Having said all that, in view of the fact that it will not complete POST, I would surmise that this is a BIOS checksum error rather than a CMOS checksum error and you will likely have to reflash the BIOS. If you have not done this before, follow the "readme" instructions to a tee, although the IBM process seems to be quite straight forward.
    http://www-3.ibm.com/pc/support/site...GR-4JWNJC.html

I understand your point ... I dunno how I can flash my BIOS since that machine freezes B4 it gets to the the floppy seek stage ... I am trying to avoid replacing the board.

Any more suggestions?

Cheers,

Fausto

The BIOS ROM chip is usually replaceable. You can send them away to be reprogrammed or replaced. Wimsbios would be a good place to start looking for options. I notice that they have a link to Badflash which sells replacements, if it comes to that.

Improvise - Adapt - Overcome
    SafeSearch is off

Your manual suggests the same thing that Baddog's reference does - replace the system board, which suggests an "integrated" ROM chip. This does not necessarily mean that aftermarket services like www.badflash.com cannot do anything for you. It is still worth investigating. Good luck.

CRC errors

CRC errors are usually repairable without the replacement of the systemboard.

Contact me for additional information.

-Joe

contact@laptopbios.com