Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Lawsuit for false advertising of HDD sizes

Ultimate Member

Lawsuit for false advertising of HDD sizes

It does seem a bit deceptive and something that has always bugged me too, but is it really worth another lawsuit? Why go after the computer manufactures. The drive makers label the drives that way and have for as long as I can remember.

sheesh.... what will they sue for next??? That's no differnt than buying a boat.... boat manufacturers base the size of a boat measuring from the tip of the bow rail to the rear edge of the swim platform, and if it measures 26.8 ft, they call it a 27ft boat. Guess they are just as deceptive..........think I'll sue.

Rat
    Rat...
    "The object of war is not to die for your country but to
    make the other ******* die for his."
    --George Patton

Yay! The only trouble is that they're suing the wrong defendants. Here are the real criminals:

Fujitsu
    Seagate
    Western Digital
    Maxtor
    IBM/Hitachi
    Toshiba (OK - they got one right)
    MS MCP, MCSE

but hey guys - those of us who bought OEM systems might even get a $5 credit towards a new computer system - this is exciting stuff that easily is worth the attorneys getting their fair share (maybe 70% of the "damages" because of ridiculous legal fees)

but BpB is right, it's the HDD companies that misrepresent the numbers

another dirty little secret, the OEM guys (I went thru this with Maxtor) applied their 1 year systems warranty to all components - I had a 40 gig Maxtor with a 3 year warranty that died in a friend's Dell or Gateway (can't remember) - Maxtor said "no go" on my RMA request by hiding behind the system warranty, until I got a supervisor and said I was staring at a warranty date on the drive and I could refer this issue to these same money grubbing attorneys

they did send me a replacement - a 60 gig 5400 ata 100 - failed within 2 weeks - just got my replacement - an 80 gig ata133 7200 rpm

not bad if this one actually works, eh

Ultimate Member
    Lawyers

This "1 Megabyte is 1,000,000 bytes" thing on HDDs was started by Quantum - with their 105LP model, a 100.3 Megabyte (!) drive. That was QUITE a while ago.

Before that, companies like Seagate even got away with naming their drives after their UNFORMATTED capacity. E.g. an ST157N looked like it had 57 MBytes, but in fact was a "48 MB" drive that actually had 46.

Questions?

Originally posted by Rat
    sheesh.... what will they sue for next??? That's no different than buying a boat.... boat manufacturers base the size of a boat measuring from the tip of the bow rail to the rear edge of the swim platform, and if it measures 26.8 ft, they call it a 27ft boat. Guess they are just as deceptive..........think I'll sue.

Rat
    In the case of boats, that's Coast Guard regulations. It's to insure a boat will fit in a slip. As for the drive makers that's just fancier packaging.

Oh, so we can blame Maxtor because they assumed all of Quantum's liabilities when they bought 'em up.

Ok folks! Let's break out the torches!

MS MCP, MCSE

Bring it on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by ukulele

In the case of boats, that's Coast Guard regulations. It's to insure a boat will fit in a slip. As for the drive makers that's just fancier packaging.
    Coast Guard regulations??? that's a new one on me..... Iv'e seen boats that measure far less than their described length... Regal boats are off by as much as a foot. (Mega-yachts are further off than that in many cases)The Coast Guard has no say on how long a manufacturer says it's boats are. All the Coast Guard does is give guidelines of how far out from a given point (seawall or dock) that a vessel may protrude. I've been in the marine business for 20 years....... everything ...every ratring is exaggerated and it is common in every aspect of life including hard drives, memory and sex.

So let's sue them all!!!!!

Rat
    Last edited by Rat; 09-20-2003 at 06:31 PM.
    Rat...
    "The object of war is not to die for your country but to
    make the other ******* die for his."
    --George Patton

Ok, so you got a 150 gig hard drive and it stores only 140 gig..oh that's rough Most normal users won't even come CLOSE to filling a 20 gig hard drive (oh ok, 18 gig)..sheesh

Originally posted by Rat

Coast Guard regulations??? that's a new one on me..... Iv'e seen boats that measure far less than their described length... Regal boats are off by as much as a foot. (Mega-yachts are further off than that in many cases)The Coast Guard has no say on how long a manufacturer says it's boats are. All the Coast Guard does is give guidelines of how far out from a given point (seawall or dock) that a vessel may protrude. I've been in the marine business for 20 years....... everything ...every ratring is exaggerated and it is common in every aspect of life including hard drives, memory and sex.

So let's sue them all!!!!!

Rat
    I was tested on this stuff when I took my AB Unlimited Tonnage exam. I passed with a 97. Yacht salesmen don't know beans.

Originally posted by mireland
    Ok, so you got a 150 gig hard drive and it stores only 140 gig..oh that's rough Most normal users won't even come CLOSE to filling a 20 gig hard drive (oh ok, 18 gig)..sheesh
    A lot of my friends have 30GB or more only for mp3s. I dont have so much mp3s (less than 1GB), but I also have 40.7GB used of my 74.5GB drive (sold as 80GB).

Originally posted by BipolarBill
    Yay! The only trouble is that they're suing the wrong defendants. Here are the real criminals:

Fujitsu
    Seagate
    Western Digital
    Maxtor
    IBM/Hitachi
    Toshiba (OK - they got one right)
    They also got IBM right. They also make harddrives.

Originally posted by MrBurns

A lot of my friends have 30GB or more only for mp3s. I dont have so much mp3s (less than 1GB), but I also have 40.7GB used of my 74.5GB drive (sold as 80GB).
    LOL, Like I said...NORMAL users Not sure what to make of you music downloaders

Everywhere you look there is false advertising..Printers are bad to. When they claim that a printer prints at so many pages a minute blah blah blah. Guess how they test to get those numbers? They set up in a clean environment with the perfect machine and everything set up and working perfectly. Do you and I have that same set up..(Expletive) NO!! This is just one example of course.