Thread: Rise of Nations question

Rise of Nations question

I am very new to Rise of Nations, and I must say that I'm a bit overwhelmed with all of the choices and game depth. I was hoping that you all could shed some light and help me out.

My question is: What is your favorite nation to use and why?

I have only used the Romans, so I have no idea if they are good, if they suck, or how they compare. Please help!

Thanks.

There is a good website on it.

After you play for a few times you get used to the speed because the ages come up fast.

I mostly play against computer maybe 2 or 3 of them. You can't let them get too far ahead of you or at all because once they get modern rocket launchers it can be a real pain because there is the unit add that makes instant units. If you are the first to get modern or even just tanks in general get them and artillery together.

Usually I build towns toward the middle nad build defenses there since they will typicallly go for middle. Then I can have the rest behind it secure for more towns and such. If you dont build towards the middle the other ppl will and you will end up being screwed nad built into your little corner.

Build all the addons in all your towns, you need markets, libraries, universities, etc in every town. You want to upgrade the fastest and you want the most resources because later on when you are spittin units our it can get nuts. That way also you can upgrade at more than one place at a time. Also mine all you can because you really need it and food later on as well as oil.

Also when you get later on in the game get a wonder in every city and surround them with AA guns. The enemy computer always seems to go for your wonders.

Believe it or not i play as the french. I like some of their bonuses with calvalry and I like how the supply wagon heals your troops and some of their bonuses like a free lumber mill. There were some other countries that I found were pretty good as well.

If you are lookin for strategies vs. humans im not sure cuz I dont play games on the internet much.

Usually at least playing against the computer in the later stages I can get away with having no air. I usually build a sick amount of modern tanks and artillery and have anti tank infantry and machine gunners to take out their infantry. Usually it works well. As I am rushing them I have 4 or 5 factories and barracks all building units to form a group as soon as my guys die to reinforce the rush. Modern artillery is devastating. 10-20 of them can wipe out a city in a short time but they need cover.

Also one last thing. If you go for their capital they will lose. Early on scout out their capital and you can sabotage it througout the game. I usually do a direct rush to the capital and crush whatever city is directly in the way. Then I hold the capital and kill the units coming at me and then spawn out and destroy the rest of the cities.

Good Luck!
    Visionology Interactive Media
    http://www.visim.com

Wow, thank you

I really appreciate all the time you spent in helping me. I will most certainly employ a lot of those tactics.

Thanks again.

I love this game.... and as to the best nation to use, well, I suggest you try a bunch of them as each has it's own advantages. So it depends on how you like to attack. I played with the Brits for a while in order to use their Lancaster Bombers and then I just launched air raids left and right!!! Missile silos are nice too, good way to disrupt there units buildings.

But BadBadNeil made a good point... keep up with your research at the Library. Once you get the "instant unit creation" research, you can launch full out attacks with no fear!!

Have a blast.. and let us know if you find a nation that fits your needs!!

"Why is it drug addicts and computer aficionados are both called users?" - C. Stoll

"My question is: What is your favorite nation to use and why?"

Russia, the 100% more attrition make it more dificult to invade, pluse in the info. age, the T80 and Shock Infantry become very useful.

This is a great game.
    I started playing it off and on about 2 months ago.
    I like the germans so far.
    Couple of tipes I would like to make:
    1: Research Science and Commerce first. Science allows you to gather resources more efficiently and Commerce allows you to gather more.
    2. Don't forget to make a Temple. Great at the beginning of the game for giving added income with taxation.
    3. Don't ignore the Wonders of your enemies. I have lost more battles against the computer do to woners then getting my bootie kicked by their troops.

Have fun

Brykell